Old 23-10-2004, 03:19 AM
LouiseW

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...

Does gender matter? In 20 years, I've never seen steer manure offered around
here. But, there's plenty of bagged, composted cow manure. And, if it was
earlier in the year, I could've gotten plenty of horse manure (from the
mounted police stables) and composted it.

According to various places on the web and at least one of my books:

Steer manure has more salt (the animals get salt licks to encourage
them to drink to bring their weight up) and more weed seeds. Cow
manure, specifically pit-washed dairy manure, is supposed to be better
for gardening in general.

Crayfish