Old 23-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Gary

On 10/22/04 9:24 AM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

20 years ago, I worked for two weeks removing grass from a new garden using
a fork and a number of custom-made implements of sifting and destruction. I
just had a 30x30 area tilled, and this time, I'm ready to try another way of
killing the grass that's mixed into the soil. The guy who tilled it did a
great job. He ran the tiller in various orientations until the sod was very
nicely chopped up. But, you KNOW some of it'll be back in April when I want
to plant lettuce.

So: I've seen a number of people mention spreading newspaper. Sheets of
plastic are easy, but the newspaper idea is fascinating. But, how's it kept
in place? Just toss soil on top of it? We're talking a lot of newspaper
here - I'd need lots of bricks. :-) I realize this is an unbelievably
simplistic question, but I have limited time this weekend. No time for
experiments, and I'd rather not use plastic if I don't have to.

Hi Doug
I have read many of the excellent suggestions made by others. I agree to
some extent with some of them and others I have not decided. My first
assessment (#1) will make you unhappy.
1. Grass is a determined plant. The only way to ensure it won't be in your
garden next year is to dig it out. I tried rototilling it and it just came
back again and again and again.
2. What you should have done is...are you ready? Remove it totally. How?
Well you do it like removing sod. One foot 'squared' at a time. You take out
only the top 4 inches or so. And you compost them (Put them into a big
pile)...why? Cause the top layers have the most nutritious soil and that's
where the worms are. After the grass has died you put it back on the garden.
3. Now what you have is a mess...a mess of grass ready to go next year.
4. I'm not sure how plastic or paper will help. I am assuming you are in the
USA and unless you are in the southern states lettuce will not grow. So...
5. Pre plant your seed indoors and then transplant them when they are
bigger. While they are growing (indoors) disturb any greenery you see in the
garden area...that will be the grass growing again.
6. After transplanting your seedlings continue to disturb the roots of any
greenery growing. Eventually they will be gone...eventually! I know. It does
work.
7. Now you know as much as I do about removing sod for a garden.
Regards,
NN