Old 08-02-2003, 11:38 PM
~ jan

Default 2 Koi Dead- Cause?

Besides what Ingrid said about the anerobic bacteria going on..... the
leaves probably used all your buffer (KH) and your pH is mostly acidic and
fluctuating. I suck my pond bottoms clean with a shop vac and then use
window screening and wait till spring.

On 6 Feb 2003 10:02:54 -0800, (MC) wrote:
I will check the water quality, but since the pond is frozen except
for a 5 inch hole, I don't know what I could about it. Also, isn't it
unsafe to do a water change with the Koi dormant? I thought you
weren't suppose to disturb them.

Water changes can be done in winter. All depends on the temperature. If
there is a large difference between pond water and tap water temps do
several small changes. Don't forget the dechlor as the colder the water the
higher the concentration of chlorine it can contain. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a