Old 23-10-2004, 01:41 PM
John

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:21:50 -0500, A strange species called "Bob
Alston" wrote:

If you look at my web site you can see at least one co2 reactor, the one I
like, which is from PlantGuild.

As for electronic monitors, there are fairly widely used pH monitors from
Pinpoint and others that monitor pH. Once you know your hardness
calculation, you can determine the pH that will be achieved when you have
your desired co2 concentration. These pH monitors - controllers really -
are connected to solenoids in the co2 setup to turn on the solenoid and gas
flow when the pH is too high and off when it gets low enough. Again, a bit
of info on my web site.

That said, I believe the large majority of people who use pressurized co2 do
NOT use such. They are expensive and in my opinion not necessary, once you
have your system setup and stable.

Okay, for testing the levels of CO2 I like the look of the Dupla CO2
Dauertest. Forget knowing the precise amount with electronic gizmos,
this one looks easy to use and tells you what you want to know. If you
have too much, too little or just enough.

DIY CO2 though with a coke bottle and yeast reaction, I read that the
small diffusers/atomisers made by Dupla, eHeim and ADA etc wont work
with DIY CO2 as they need to have pressure to force the bubbles
through the plates, and DIY yeast route doesn't generate enough
pressure, only compressed CO2 in bottles does?

I wanted to have one of these small atomiser diffusers because the
tanks I will be using CO2 in are only small. One is 14 Gallons, the
other about 26 gallons. I don't really want anything big in the tank
taking lots of space, and I don't fancy making my own reactor out of a
gravel cleaner.

These plant guild reactors, http://www.plantguild.com/html/co2.html
if I am using the yeast in a coke bottle generation method, do I need
to get a powered one or will the unpowered one work? And these
products are quite small aren't they? They're not the size of 10"
gravel vacs are they?

I think when I have a large aquarium I will get a compressed CO2
system and have one of those small glass ADA atomisers in the tank, I
really like the look of those.

John