Old 23-10-2004, 11:58 PM
simy1

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...

So: I've seen a number of people mention spreading newspaper. Sheets of
plastic are easy, but the newspaper idea is fascinating. But, how's it kept
in place? Just toss soil on top of it? We're talking a lot of newspaper
here - I'd need lots of bricks. :-) I realize this is an unbelievably
simplistic question, but I have limited time this weekend. No time for
experiments, and I'd rather not use plastic if I don't have to.

I find cardboard to be more practical. The box of a large appliance
will cover some 50 sq ft, so you will need less bricks. The loft of my
garage is always full of cardboard, for that purpose. On the other
hand, I would never cover the plot entirely with cardboard, I would
use the chance to establish pathways with bricks or cinder blocks at
the edges, with plastic covered with gravel in the path itself. You
also want to establish a mowing strip around the garden, same method
(plastic and gravel). grass is one tough garden weed and it will come
back in via rhizomes if there is less than a foot and a half from lawn
to garden.

Also, you don't put the cardobard down now, when nothing grows,
because that will fail. Once the paths are in place, you mound manure
on the beds and retire for the winter. You wait until just before you
plant your garden, in April or May, so that you will be weed free for
most of the season and will effectively kill all seeds that did
germinate. Say you plant one bed in April with lettuce and chard (this
are Michigan times), you cover it with cardboard, punch holes through,
and plant the plants. In May and June you will do the same with the
other beds. Sorry, but the first year garden will not accept direct
seeding.