Old 24-10-2004, 06:07 AM
len gardener

g'day andrew,

yes silly realy the people who design this sort of equipment never
have to use it to make their living or maybe on their own properties,
much like that shidaiwa brushcutter, bet those designers have never
got hold of one and used it in our sub-tropical conditions on acreage.

and as for the mower manufacturers trying to make their machines
foolproof, you know my feelings on that one. most of this stuff starts
in yankee land, they have blade brakes/clutches on their mowers so if
you let go the lever the blade is disengaged but it is also stopped by
a brake that must stop it so many nano seconds.

and now they have these servo type brakes on the flywheels of the
mower motors so when you let go the lever it not only cut the spark
off but the brake must stop the motor spinning in some short space of
time.

now for us people who use common sense around equipment we have to pay
for all this stuff and the weight it must add to the mower plus all
those extra things to malfunction, the repair shops in yankee land
must be making a killing hey? lol.

i've seen posts on USA groups where people have written in saying i
bent the crankshaft on me mower i ran over the water meter, which i
knew was there, i ran over a rock which i knew was there, i ran over a
stump which i knew was there. and you know the common thread we
thought that having a blade clutch and brake would stop the engine
getting damged if we did these things. be funny if it wasn't so sad
and silly hey?? plus they don't even realise why this safety stuff is
built into the machine mmmm one wonders.

all this so some simple nutter can't cut their fingers or toes off.

next thing you won't be able to get steel blades for brushcutter, then
what a guard around chain saw chains like that on the electric bench
type saws.

like i say get rid of the fool and keep the design simple and
reliable.

and put thumb cuffs on the fools.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.