Old 24-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Reka

Default Green question

Hi! It sounds like you did well with the one that fell off. Now if you can
tell us exactly what kinds those on bark are, and what the others are planted
in, we could help more. I am not an expert with Dens or Cyms, but I would
venture to say that the Cyms may need a bit of extra water, since Melbourne is
heading into summer. Don't let any of them stand in water, though. As far as
the stems, if they are turning brown, go ahead and cut them off near the bottom
on the Cyms.
I am sure someone more experienced will be answering soon as well.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Gramma" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
I am a slightly stunned wife without green thumbs who has suddenly been
left in charge of her husband's small beginners orchid collection [ all 12
of them] due to his sudden admittance into hospital.

We live near Melbourne Aus. and as he has only started collecting in the
past 6 weeks he does not as yet have a greenhouse, although his orchids are
under shade cloth.

He has some cymbidiums, dendrobiums and a couple of those that cling to
bark, one of which has already fallen off the bark.

I have packed this with sphagnum moss and re attached with nylon stocking
in the hope it clings back again. Is this likely or am I hoping for too
much?

The flowers are dying back on the others and looking a bit tatty - do I cut
the stems off or leave them to die back on their own.

I dread doing anything wrong and killing even one of them so what basic
emergency care do I need to carry out to make sure they survive until he
comes home, which could be 3 weeks yet.

I guess I'm off to visit to the next advertised orchid show and then
library for books on orchid care.

Gramma

---