Old 24-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Reka

Default Green question

Hi! It sounds like you did well with the one that fell off. Now if you can
tell us exactly what kinds those on bark are, and what the others are planted
in, we could help more. I am not an expert with Dens or Cyms, but I would
venture to say that the Cyms may need a bit of extra water, since Melbourne is
heading into summer. Don't let any of them stand in water, though. As far as
the stems, if they are turning brown, go ahead and cut them off near the bottom
on the Cyms.
I am sure someone more experienced will be answering soon as well.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Gramma" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
I am a slightly stunned wife without green thumbs who has suddenly been
left in charge of her husband's small beginners orchid collection [ all 12
of them] due to his sudden admittance into hospital.

We live near Melbourne Aus. and as he has only started collecting in the
past 6 weeks he does not as yet have a greenhouse, although his orchids are
under shade cloth.

He has some cymbidiums, dendrobiums and a couple of those that cling to
bark, one of which has already fallen off the bark.

I have packed this with sphagnum moss and re attached with nylon stocking
in the hope it clings back again. Is this likely or am I hoping for too
much?

The flowers are dying back on the others and looking a bit tatty - do I cut
the stems off or leave them to die back on their own.

I dread doing anything wrong and killing even one of them so what basic
emergency care do I need to carry out to make sure they survive until he
comes home, which could be 3 weeks yet.

I guess I'm off to visit to the next advertised orchid show and then
library for books on orchid care.

Gramma

---

Old 25-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Dave Gillingham

If you go to http://www.orchidsonline.com.au/ausOrchidSocieties.html
there is a sizeable list of Victorian orchid societies towards the
bottom of the listing. With luck there will be one near where you
live. As you can tell from postings here most enthusiasts are happy
to help, so I would suggest ringing a contact number & asking for
advice. Hope your husband is OK.

Old 25-10-2004, 06:31 AM
Gramma

"Reka" wrote in message

Hi back, thanks for your reply. All help is much appreciated
Hi! It sounds like you did well with the one that fell off. Now if you

can
tell us exactly what kinds those on bark are, and what the others are

planted
in, we could help more.

I've found a picture of one on the back of his one and only Orchid Magazine
that looks like it and that is a sarcochilus falcatus.
It also gives some info on conditions and says it likes frequent watering.
It is one of our natives and has finsihed flowering, so I don't feel quite
as scared of that one [g] as long as it survives its fall. The other has a
name tag which is written in pencil and hard to read but looks the same
breed [?] with 'hantsmanii' added and the buds arejust starting to open.

I am not an expert with Dens or Cyms, but I would
venture to say that the Cyms may need a bit of extra water, since

Melbourne is
heading into summer. Don't let any of them stand in water, though.

The pots are on a wooden bench with slats so the water runs through. They
are all planted in what looks like a roughly chopped
[what we call] pine bark. Our weather is variable at the moment with days
around 24c but could go up to 30c+. Will I need to cover them with
anything if it
gets too hot?

Sorry to ask so much but I am not a gardener of any kind so it is all new to
me.
My job has always been admiring the results
Gramma

Old 25-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Gramma

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
..
..
If you go to http://www.orchidsonline.com.au/ausOrchidSocieties.html
there is a sizeable list of Victorian orchid societies towards the
bottom of the listing. With luck there will be one near where you
live. As you can tell from postings here most enthusiasts are happy
to help, so I would suggest ringing a contact number & asking for
advice.

That's a great idea, why didn't I think of it? . I've book marked the site
for himself as there are some
interesting looking sites there

I've also noticed in our paper that there is a native orchid show not far
from us next weekend, so I will toddle along to that.
I'll be an expert before him!

Hope your husband is OK.

He's feeling better now thanks and is awaiting by pass surgery, but should
be really well in the long term.

Gramma

Old 26-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Dave Gillingham

A fairly stressful time for you both - all the best for the surgery.

Old 26-10-2004, 01:31 PM
TU

"Gramma" wrote in message ...
"Reka" wrote in message

I've found a picture of one on the back of his one and only Orchid Magazine
that looks like it and that is a sarcochilus falcatus.
It also gives some info on conditions and says it likes frequent watering.
It is one of our natives and has finsihed flowering, so I don't feel quite
as scared of that one [g] as long as it survives its fall.

In Victoria Sarcochilus falcatus grow in the Otway N'Park, so a shady
and moist location suits it best. Most are sold mounted on a small
strip of paling fence which is fine if kept most, but have tendency to
fall off if kept too dry or get knocked around too much. I remounted
mine on a piece of cork about 200mm x 200mm, spray it in the morning
and sometimes in the evening as well. It seems to hold on to cork
better.

The other has a
name tag which is written in pencil and hard to read but looks the same
breed [?] with 'hantsmanii' added and the buds arejust starting to open.

Sounds like it's a Sarcochilus hartmannii. It's easier to grow, will
take more sun than Sarc falcatus, and doesn't need as much water as
Sarc facultus. It should form a large clump in a pot of chunky potting
mix after a few year.

Good luck and hope all is well.

Old 27-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Gramma

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message

A fairly stressful time for you both - all the best for the surgery.

Thank you, he is at least getting professional help - I confess to be more
worried about keeping his orchids alive!!

I came home from hospital today with written instructions on how to
take cuttings from his precious Begonias

I think he is testing me.

Gramma

Old 27-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Gramma

"TU" wrote in message
om...
"Gramma" wrote in message

The other has a
name tag which is written in pencil and hard to read but looks the

same
breed [?] with 'hantsmanii' added and the buds arejust starting to open.

Sounds like it's a Sarcochilus hartmannii. It's easier to grow, will
take more sun than Sarc falcatus, and doesn't need as much water as
Sarc facultus. It should form a large clump in a pot of chunky potting
mix after a few year.

I gather from that is should be in a pot and not on a piece of bark?
That could explain why it doesn't look comfortable.

Gramma

..

Old 27-10-2004, 11:38 PM
TU

"Gramma" wrote in message ...
"TU" wrote in message
om...
"Gramma" wrote in message

The other has a
name tag which is written in pencil and hard to read but looks the

same
breed [?] with 'hantsmanii' added and the buds arejust starting to open.

Sounds like it's a Sarcochilus hartmannii. It's easier to grow, will
take more sun than Sarc falcatus, and doesn't need as much water as
Sarc facultus. It should form a large clump in a pot of chunky potting
mix after a few year.

I gather from that is should be in a pot and not on a piece of bark?
That could explain why it doesn't look comfortable.

Gramma

.

I've not seen a Sarc hartmannii grown on a piece of bark, not to say
that it can't be done.

Given that the original owner grew it on a piece of bark, could it be
a cross between S hartmannii and some other species?

T. U
Old 28-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Gramma

"TU" wrote in message
om...
"Gramma" wrote in message

"TU" wrote in message..
"Gramma" wrote in message

The other has a name tag which is written in pencil and hard to

read but looks the
same breed [?] with 'hantsmanii' added and the buds arejust

starting to open.

Sounds like it's a Sarcochilus hartmannii. It's easier to grow, will
take more sun than Sarc falcatus, and doesn't need as much water as
Sarc facultus. It should form a large clump in a pot of chunky potting
mix after a few year.

I gather from that is should be in a pot and not on a piece of bark?
That could explain why it doesn't look comfortable.

I've not seen a Sarc hartmannii grown on a piece of bark, not to say
that it can't be done.

Given that the original owner grew it on a piece of bark, could it be
a cross between S hartmannii and some other species?

Now you've stumped me there. It has a different structure in that the
'falcatus' one's leaves and flowers grow from a flat centre
which sits nicely on the bark.

The second one has wider longer leaves which at the bottom overlap [looks
almost like plaiting] with a definite stem of about 2-2'5" which sticks
out awkwardly. The 2 flower stems are growing out of the top section of
leaves . Just looking at it I think I should maybe put it in a pot,
instinct tells me to do this after it flowers,
or would it be happier if I did it now?

Gramma

Old 28-10-2004, 07:59 AM
TU

"Gramma" wrote in message ...
"TU" wrote in message
om...
"Gramma" wrote in message

"TU" wrote in message..
"Gramma" wrote in message

[...]

I'd suggest that you wait until flowering is finished, which shouldn't
take longer than 2 weeks.
What I might do is take digital photos of my Sarc and email them to
you so you'll get an idea what you're growing.

(Warning: In case you aren't aware, do not post photos to this NG,
it's a crime.)