Old 25-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Andrew Puddifer

Hi Len,

Problem is, they keep making better fools...and the US seems to be the
testing grounds.
I don't know why a simple lanyard to go around your wrist, jetski or
outboard motor style couldn't be used on mowers..have it long enough
that you can reach forward and move sticks etc, but short enough that if
you trip or whatever, you yank the switch and the unit cuts out.
I actually bought my mower because it was incredibly cheap new($299),
had a wide cut width(20") and was a side discharge mower.
I knew the mower had a silly cutter bar and the handle to run safety
interlock, but also knew I could bypass the interlock and fit my old 4
blade disc to it off my trusty old Rover. I didn't know about the
governed engine rpms, but again, that was easily fixed.
Now it's a great little mower, and when the stamped steel deck finally
rusts out, I wil swap the engine back over to the Rover alloy deck,
which I modified with a jigsaw to be a side discharge mower! The poor
old Rover has had ongoing carb problems which were just getting too hard
to sort out every second weekend. Shame too, it has an iron bore Briggs
on it.
By the way, I went to fit the paper element air filter to my new
Briggs engine, only to find that they have gone to plastic
carburettors...found that very interesting. Ended up not fitting the
large and heavy paper element filter as I didn't want to overload the
plastic threads on teh carb.
I have to modify everything I own, just my nature I suppose.

Regards, Andrew.

len gardener wrote:
snipped....

like i say get rid of the fool and keep the design simple and
reliable.

and put thumb cuffs on the fools.

len

snipped