Old 25-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Eric

Timothy wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:04:58 +0000, Eric wrote:

I have some cedar trees in my yard, they are pointy and about 8-10 feet
tall They look to be in good health. I'm wondering what to do to keep
them that way, what to fertilize with etc. google wasn't much help this
time. I can supply a picture if it will help Eric

I would assume that they are western red cedars..? That's what we
generally have up here in the pnw, but you could have the alaskan
yellow cedar also. In general you will need to do very little to care for
these cedars. In the drought season ( yes we do have one here 80P ) you
may want to give them some extra water. As far as fertilizer goes, just
raking up the fallen needles and leaves and multching the trees in the
fall should be fine. You can give a supplement of chemical fertilizer
like a rhodo/ azalea fertilizer or an orgainc fertilizer such as cotton
seed husk but in general it won't be needed here.

One thing to watch for is cedar flagging. I always get a call or two about
this every fall. This is a normal occurance in general (boy I say that
alot) but it can also mean bigger issues. Cedar flagging is when you get
dead needles ( brown patches) in the tree. You will notice this the most
right now.

The master gardeners are a good resource here in the pwn and the cenex
farmers supply is a great resource for fertilizers and other chemicals (at
least here in whatcom county).
Good luck to ya.....

I really dont know how to tell what kind of cedar they are, they are
nice looking tho.
Yeh, i see some "cedar flagging" in some of the trees, what should
i do for that?
Eric