Old 24-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Eric

Default care of cedar trees

I have some cedar trees in my yard, they are pointy and about 8-10 feet tall
They look to be in good health. I'm wondering what to do to keep them that
way, what to fertilize with etc. google wasn't much help this time.
I can supply a picture if it will help
Eric

Old 25-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:04:58 +0000, Eric wrote:

I have some cedar trees in my yard, they are pointy and about 8-10 feet
tall They look to be in good health. I'm wondering what to do to keep them
that way, what to fertilize with etc. google wasn't much help this time. I
can supply a picture if it will help Eric

I would assume that they are western red cedars..? That's what we
generally have up here in the pnw, but you could have the alaskan
yellow cedar also. In general you will need to do very little to care for
these cedars. In the drought season ( yes we do have one here 80P ) you
may want to give them some extra water. As far as fertilizer goes, just
raking up the fallen needles and leaves and multching the trees in the
fall should be fine. You can give a supplement of chemical fertilizer
like a rhodo/ azalea fertilizer or an orgainc fertilizer such as cotton
seed husk but in general it won't be needed here.

One thing to watch for is cedar flagging. I always get a call or two about
this every fall. This is a normal occurance in general (boy I say that
alot) but it can also mean bigger issues. Cedar flagging is when you get
dead needles ( brown patches) in the tree. You will notice this the most
right now.

The master gardeners are a good resource here in the pwn and the cenex
farmers supply is a great resource for fertilizers and other chemicals (at
least here in whatcom county).
Good luck to ya.....

--
Trees are like children, train them right when their young.....
or spend a lifetime trying to correct them.

Old 25-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Eric

Timothy wrote:

[...]

I really dont know how to tell what kind of cedar they are, they are
nice looking tho.
Yeh, i see some "cedar flagging" in some of the trees, what should
i do for that?
Eric
Old 27-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Timothy

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:14:13 +0000, Eric wrote:

Timothy wrote:

[...]

Again cedar flagging is mostly a normal occurance and should only give you
concern when there is alot of it on the tree. This years' needles will
seness (spelling*??) or drop in three year. This is the natural pattern
for evergreens and conifers. So 10 or 20 % of the needles falling at one
time isn't a big deal. You really need to watch the flagging if we had a
hotter than normal summer (and you didn't water) or you did construction
or some other type of root damage to them. Other wise it really no worry
at all.

--
Trees are like children, train them right when their young.....
or spend a lifetime trying to correct them.
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----