Old 25-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Richard Lucas

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:22:55 +0100, Spider wrote:

Lee and Kath wrote in message
Hi everyone.
A couple of weeks ago I heard one of the Gardener's QT panel recommend a

cherry tree which is a good
all year round plant, especially good for autumn colour. I forget which it

is and can't find
anything on the web site. Does anyone remember, please?

Kath

Hi Kath,

I don't recall the tree mentioned on GQT, but Prunus Sargentii is famous for
its brilliant autumn leaf colour. The flowers are single, pink and emerge
roughly late April/early May. Young leaves are bronzy red.

Prunus hillierii is another good one for autumn leaf colour, the variety
"Spire" is nice and upright , and doesn't take much space in a small
garden. Both have lots of pale pink flowers in the spring.
--
Best Regards

Richard