Old 25-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Phil L

A Davis wrote:
:: Hello
::
:: I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a
:: month ago I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating
:: plants. These are now between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.
::
:: Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I
:: (eventually) caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a
:: small indoors aquarium.
::
:: Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if
:: they should be big enough to look after themselves now?
::
:: I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering
:: indoors, but now I'm having second thoughts.
::
:: Thanks,
:: Regards Al

Almost all fish will eat their own and other fishes offspring which is why
they have so many at a time to allow a small fraction to reach maturity.
You don't say what kind of fish they are? - you mentioned goldfish - do you
already have adult goldfish in the pond?
As long as there is somewhere for the young to hide (plants, netting etc)
the adults will spawn every year...remove the plants and they won't spawn.
There is always the possibility that they are not young goldfish at all,
many birds inadvertently carry fish eggs to other waters so they could be
almost anything!