Old 25-10-2004, 07:44 PM
A Davis

Default Breeding Fish

Hello

I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a month ago
I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating plants. These are now
between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.

Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I (eventually)
caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a small indoors aquarium.

Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if they
should be big enough to look after themselves now?

I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering indoors, but
now I'm having second thoughts.

Thanks,
Regards Al

Old 25-10-2004, 07:51 PM
John Carruthers

Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if
they
should be big enough to look after themselves now?

Maybe a fry trap, as used in aquaria, a cage with mesh small enough to
stop big fish getting in ?
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

---

Old 25-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Brian Watson

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello

I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a month

ago
I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating plants. These are now
between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.

Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I (eventually)
caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a small indoors aquarium.

Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if they
should be big enough to look after themselves now?

I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering indoors,

but
now I'm having second thoughts.

Good idea to keep 'em inside for the first winter if you have the
facilities, but let 'em back in (acclimatising them by floating their
container in the pond until the temperatures match) as soon as the warmer
weather means the pond is unlikely to freeze solid.

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 25-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Phil L

A Davis wrote:
:: Hello
::
:: I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a
:: month ago I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating
:: plants. These are now between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.
::
:: Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I
:: (eventually) caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a
:: small indoors aquarium.
::
:: Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if
:: they should be big enough to look after themselves now?
::
:: I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering
:: indoors, but now I'm having second thoughts.
::
:: Thanks,
:: Regards Al

Almost all fish will eat their own and other fishes offspring which is why
they have so many at a time to allow a small fraction to reach maturity.
You don't say what kind of fish they are? - you mentioned goldfish - do you
already have adult goldfish in the pond?
As long as there is somewhere for the young to hide (plants, netting etc)
the adults will spawn every year...remove the plants and they won't spawn.
There is always the possibility that they are not young goldfish at all,
many birds inadvertently carry fish eggs to other waters so they could be
almost anything!

Old 25-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
A Davis wrote:
:: Hello
::
:: I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a
:: month ago I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating
:: plants. These are now between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.
::
:: Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I
:: (eventually) caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a
:: small indoors aquarium.
::
:: Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if
:: they should be big enough to look after themselves now?
::
:: I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering
:: indoors, but now I'm having second thoughts.
::
:: Thanks,
:: Regards Al

Best let nature take it's course and leave well alone - just try to feed
some of the smallest pellets you can get as well as your normal stuff to
give the juniors their share. My goldfish have bred up from 30 individuals
to a couple of hundred without any protection from me.
If you,re into specimen stuff - well that's another matter and you should
get a book for advice.

Regards
Pete(with a slightly bigger pond)
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 26-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Alan Gabriel

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello

I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a month

ago
I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating plants. These are now
between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.

Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I (eventually)
caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a small indoors aquarium.

Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if they
should be big enough to look after themselves now?

I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering indoors,

but
now I'm having second thoughts.

Year before last, my friend took most of the goldfish fry out of his pond
and overwintered them indoors. They grew well, some of them changed colour,
but didn't learn how to hide.

As soon as he put them back in the pond, in early summer, the large goldfish
ate them. However, the ones that overwintered in the pond were smaller, but
still alive and hiding in the weed.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 26-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Sacha

On 25/10/04 19:44, in article , "A Davis"
wrote:

Hello

I have a 10 by 5 foot garden pond (South West England), & about a month ago
I noticed some tiny fish swimming in the oxygenating plants. These are now
between a 0.5 & 1.5 inches long.

Recently I found out that Goldfish will eat their young, so I (eventually)
caught 2 of the young fish & transferred them to a small indoors aquarium.

Please could anyone advise whether this is the thing to do, or if they
should be big enough to look after themselves now?

I also thought it would give them more chance of overwintering indoors, but
now I'm having second thoughts.

No, just leave them where they are. On the whole, they work out their own
balance in terms of breeding and a few fry eaten by mum or dad is all part
of that. If ponds do get over-stocked, remove some of the bigger fish and
give them away.
Don't feed the fish in winter and don't run the fountain, if you have one.
This advice was given to us by a supplier of ponds, fish, pumps, plants etc.
She said that fish tend to move towards the bottom of a pond during cold
weather and that running the fountain simply forces colder water through the
pond. We followed her advice and have a thriving and healthy stock of fish
with very few casualties.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-10-2004, 08:14 PM
A Davis

"Phil L" wrote:-
You don't say what kind of fish they are? - you mentioned goldfish - do
you
already have adult goldfish in the pond?

I have adult goldfish, golden orfs, a comet, a koi carp and others, so I
don't know what the young ones are.
Should it be possible to tell when they're just an inch or so long?

Al.

Old 27-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Martin Sykes

"A Davis" wrote in message
I have adult goldfish, golden orfs, a comet, a koi carp and others, so I
don't know what the young ones are.
Should it be possible to tell when they're just an inch or so long?

Probably not. They all look small and black. They'll change colour as they
mature. When I had a large pond, the golden orfe bred very readily so they
would be my bet.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )