Old 21-10-2004, 04:56 PM
dd

Thanks to both of you for the information. I read about the C.
walkeriana hybrids in a recent issue of Orchids magazine--pretty
flowers!

It does seem that the very small Slc. crosses are more reluctant to
bloom for me. I bought all of my Slc's from Carter & Holmes. (Actually
took a trip down there--a long drive from the airport in Charleston, if
anyone else is so tempted to make the trip...) In South Carolina they
have high temps too, but they also have much higher light that I do. In
New England, being in front of a south-facing window and under a
400-watt MH light is as good as I can do for these guys. Last year
under those conditions, there were no flowers on my Slcs, but a few of
the bigger cattleya crosses, such as Lc. Robert Strait, bloomed like
troupers. This year, summering the catt family outdoors certainly
helped them to set buds, but the Slc's are still dragging their feet.
The fact that a Potinara free spirit 'Lea' has two buds that are just
opening-- and she's been in a south-facing window but not under the MH
light--tells me that both you and Rob are right on about the high light
requirements of the Sophronitis crosses.

This spring, I would like to make a last-ditch effort and try a few of
the crosses that Kenni and Rob note. Because space is at a premium for
me, I'd really like to be successful with the minis. If my present Slcs
don't put on a good show by next summer, they may find themselves
donated to an orchid society auction.

In article , Kenni Judd
wrote:

As Rob well knows G, the first rule about orchids is that all the other
rules have exceptions G. On that note, Slc. Jewel Box [both the 'Dark
Waters' and the 'Scheherazade' clones] have always performed very well for
us, and there's no way we can be accused of growing cool -- we struggle to
keep the summer highs down to 95F, and heat to 55F in the winter. We are
also rather surprised to find Sc. Seagull's Beauleau Queen [a really tiny
yellow] performing well here.

Notwithstanding these exceptions, Slcs and Scs with a strong dose of
Sophronitis in them usually want high light in combination with cool
temps -- hard to provide outside their natural environments, which are
usually high altitude. It does appear, however, that plants grown warm from
infancy can adapt. We've grown Slc. [Naomi Kerns 'Fireball' x Jewel Box
'Scherehazade'] from flask, and they are also doing quite well.

So I wouldn't just rule them all out -- rather, look at the location of the
nursery where they're grown and, if possible, find out how long they've been
there. I obviously can't speak for every nursery, but our philosophy is not
to buy or sell things we can't grow here, under conditions which are pretty
close to natural for our very hot and humid area. We do "stretch"
(experiment) every now and then, or have a few of something "slipped into"
an assortment [e.g. those Scs mentioned above], but if they don't perform,
they don't make it to the website.

On the other hand, there are also lots of other mini-catts. As Rob
mentioned, C. walkeriana hybrids make nice minis; also hybrids of C.
aclandiae if you like spots. Many of the Ctnas. are also mini to compact,
and frequent bloomers given adequate light, and the Broughtonia in them
tends to impart great heat tolerance.

Good growing,