Old 27-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Magwitch

JennyC muttered:

Hi all

Any suggestions for a plant or combination of plants for a biggish pot by the
front door?

Needs to be fully hardy - it can get down to -12 here at times.
NOT heather - can't abide the stuff!
Nice leaves would be good
Not to tall - 3ft max
Maybe last all winter
Could be underplanted with bulbs......

Jenny

I've got a huge Italian terracotta planter filled with assorted hebes that
are great at the moment and show no signs of ceasing flowering (might need
to be more sheltered later on). Also in 2 big ericaceous compost filled half
barrels I put in skimmias and evergreen azaleas and Leucothoe fontanesiana
(these are evergreen but with wonderful red leaves) I was debating whether
to buy 2 holly pyramids for them as something that's structural in winter
looks really good.

Btw have a look at:

http://www.italianterrace.co.uk/

Even when their pots are just filled with some grasses or box, they look
wonderful.