Old 27-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 26/10/04 22:24, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
The Rosa bracteata still has a lot of buds left on it and the

Rosa
banksiae
alba has formed clusters of new buds. Perhaps those Holly

berries
are lying
after all! ;-)

Sacha, How old does R banksiae have to be before it flowers?

Ray reckons about two years old.

I have one which I acquired in March as a young pot grown specimen

and
one a year older. Neither had any flowers this year. (Admittedly

confounded sheep had a fair fraction of the older one in the

spring.)

As they flower on old wood, your sheep did for this year's show!

I'm
probably preaching to the choir but only cut out the stems that you

really
don't want or which obstruct e.g. windows as our lutea does

sometimes.
The white one seems never to be as vigorous as the yellow one here

and is
comparatively insignificant while the yellow just drips with

flowers.

Many thanks. So there's hope for mine yet. Contrary to yours, my
normalis (white) grew faster than lutea this past season.

Franz