Old 29-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Christopher Green

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:03:57 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

We've just moved to the Southwest.

Like many, I used to think of desert as rocks, and sand.
I'm amazed at the variety of flowering plants
that grow in this environment....

We'd like to plant our garden area with native plants.
( Shrubs, flowering bushes, sagebrush, etc....)
The soil is somewhat sandy, and gets "clay-ey" about a foot down.

My ( backEast ) instincts are to mix a bunch of mulch,
and peat with the soil..... then a slow release fertilizer.

My spouse opines that this may be a mix that's
foreign to the plants we're trying to grow.

????
rj