Old 28-10-2004, 03:03 AM

Default DESERT GARDENING

We've just moved to the Southwest.

Like many, I used to think of desert as rocks, and sand.
I'm amazed at the variety of flowering plants
that grow in this environment....

We'd like to plant our garden area with native plants.
( Shrubs, flowering bushes, sagebrush, etc....)
The soil is somewhat sandy, and gets "clay-ey" about a foot down.

My ( backEast ) instincts are to mix a bunch of mulch,
and peat with the soil..... then a slow release fertilizer.

My spouse opines that this may be a mix that's
foreign to the plants we're trying to grow.

????
rj
Old 28-10-2004, 03:51 AM
Pam - gardengal

"RJ" wrote in message

We've just moved to the Southwest.

Like many, I used to think of desert as rocks, and sand.
I'm amazed at the variety of flowering plants
that grow in this environment....

We'd like to plant our garden area with native plants.
( Shrubs, flowering bushes, sagebrush, etc....)
The soil is somewhat sandy, and gets "clay-ey" about a foot down.

My ( backEast ) instincts are to mix a bunch of mulch,
and peat with the soil..... then a slow release fertilizer.

My spouse opines that this may be a mix that's
foreign to the plants we're trying to grow.

Listen to your spouse :-)) Desert and xeriscape plants generally prefer lean
soil with minimal amendments.

pam - gardengal

Old 28-10-2004, 04:02 PM
starlord

What part of the southwest? It covers a very BIG area!

I live in the High Mojave Desert of Calif. and grow Iris, Canna, and wild
flowers and a few others.

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

SIAR
http://starlords.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"RJ" wrote in message

We've just moved to the Southwest.

Like many, I used to think of desert as rocks, and sand.
I'm amazed at the variety of flowering plants
that grow in this environment....

---

Old 29-10-2004, 02:52 AM
hippy gardener

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:51:12 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"RJ" wrote in message
.. .

We've just moved to the Southwest.

Like many, I used to think of desert as rocks, and sand.
I'm amazed at the variety of flowering plants
that grow in this environment....

We'd like to plant our garden area with native plants.
( Shrubs, flowering bushes, sagebrush, etc....)
The soil is somewhat sandy, and gets "clay-ey" about a foot down.

My ( backEast ) instincts are to mix a bunch of mulch,
and peat with the soil..... then a slow release fertilizer.

My spouse opines that this may be a mix that's
foreign to the plants we're trying to grow.

Listen to your spouse :-)) Desert and xeriscape plants generally prefer lean
soil with minimal amendments.

pam - gardengal

What you are missing here Pam is that desert soils in fact DO have a
lot of biological diversity. Generally constructed neighborhood soils
have NONE of the natural diversity. Do use some quality compost and
some organic fertilizers to begin with!!!!

Old 29-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Pam - gardengal

"hippy gardener" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:51:12 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"RJ" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

All soils have some degree of biological diversity regardless of composition
unless they have beeen sterilized through chemical dumping. Regardless of
the current state of the soils, desert and or xeriscape plants are NOT
helped by adding amendments or fertilizers - less indigenous ornamentals,
perhaps. And regardless where one is located and what soils you are working
with, it is not favored horticultural practice to fertilize any newly
planted material.

Old 30-10-2004, 09:52 AM
gregpresley

Pam, I think what he might be implying is that the soil at this site might
have been brought in by the construction firm, or that the desert topsoil,
such as it is, has been completely bulldozed away before construction - or
else, compacted by heavy machinery, which might cause native caliches
(cement-like clay) to be permanently unusable by native plants. I'm not sure
what would be needed to bring such soils to the point of supporting native
flora - if not traditional amendments (and I agree that I can't really see a
role for peat moss in a desert setting), perhaps some sort of aeration, or
distribution of sand and gravel into the mix.
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"hippy gardener" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:51:12 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

.. .

Old 30-10-2004, 08:00 PM
hippy gardener

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:54:45 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

some organic fertilizers to begin with!!!!

All soils have some degree of biological diversity regardless of composition
unless they have beeen sterilized through chemical dumping. Regardless of
the current state of the soils, desert and or xeriscape plants are NOT
helped by adding amendments or fertilizers - less indigenous ornamentals,
perhaps. And regardless where one is located and what soils you are working
with, it is not favored horticultural practice to fertilize any newly
planted material.

Once more....and this comes form 20 years of experience and 6 years
of biological testing.... MOST CONSTRUCTED SOILS USED IN DESERT SW
DEVELOPMENTS ARE NOT TOPSOILS AND ARE MINED! Find me a silt pit with
biology and I'll shut up!

[IMG] code is On

Desert Roses Sue Australia 4 26-02-2003 04:00 AM
desert rose jammer Gardening 1 21-02-2003 02:39 AM