Old 29-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Kay

In article , Alan
writes

I would like to grow a good variety of fruit trees - apples, pears,
peaches, apricots, plums, figs, grapes + possibly some soft fruit -
raspberries, blackberries, etc.

Some questions:
* is now-ish a good time to get digging & planting?

Yes. You need to plant by the end of the dormant season, ie about March,
so start digging and preparing the soil now.

* what sort of rootstock to go for? Will I be best with the really
dwarfing types & am I also right in thinking that they'll give me a
crop sooner?

It depends on how high you want the final tree - do you want to keep
them down below wall height? I'd have thought with apples you'd be fine
to let them get taller, and that gives you more tree to bear a crop.

* how will the more delicate trees (peaches, figs, grapes) fare on a
west facing wall in a wet & windy winter??

With grapes, it's the hot summer that is more important. They can cope
with cold. Wind shouldn't be a problem as they'll have no leaves. Don't
know about wet - do you mean your soil gets waterlogged in winter or are
you talking about lots of rain that drains away well?

Fig should be fine. I have one at 400 ft on a S facing terrace in
Yorkshire. It's cropping well.

Lots of questions I know...

You know about the need for a pollination partner for apples and pears?
- if not, ask!
--
Kay