Old 29-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Pam - gardengal

"hippy gardener" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:51:12 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"RJ" wrote in message
.. .

We've just moved to the Southwest.

Like many, I used to think of desert as rocks, and sand.
I'm amazed at the variety of flowering plants
that grow in this environment....

We'd like to plant our garden area with native plants.
( Shrubs, flowering bushes, sagebrush, etc....)
The soil is somewhat sandy, and gets "clay-ey" about a foot down.

My ( backEast ) instincts are to mix a bunch of mulch,
and peat with the soil..... then a slow release fertilizer.

My spouse opines that this may be a mix that's
foreign to the plants we're trying to grow.

Listen to your spouse :-)) Desert and xeriscape plants generally prefer

lean
soil with minimal amendments.

pam - gardengal

What you are missing here Pam is that desert soils in fact DO have a
lot of biological diversity. Generally constructed neighborhood soils
have NONE of the natural diversity. Do use some quality compost and
some organic fertilizers to begin with!!!!

All soils have some degree of biological diversity regardless of composition
unless they have beeen sterilized through chemical dumping. Regardless of
the current state of the soils, desert and or xeriscape plants are NOT
helped by adding amendments or fertilizers - less indigenous ornamentals,
perhaps. And regardless where one is located and what soils you are working
with, it is not favored horticultural practice to fertilize any newly
planted material.