Old 30-10-2004, 06:03 AM
Reka

Yes, I read that already, but I am not talking about breeding, I am talking
about *enhancing* the blue pigmentation in a flower that already possesses it,
such as Dtps. Kenneth Schubert. Can't it be influenced by external factors? I
know temperature plays a role.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Al" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
If you can find this article read it:
1997. Griesbach, R.J. The biochemical basis for the blue flower color
mutations in Doritis pulcherrima and Phalaenopsis violacea. Lindleyana
12:64-71.

In short it says pH in the cell vacuoles of the flower tissue is responsible
for blue in these two species. Cell pH, here, must be bred for. It can not
be altered by manipulating environmental factor like it can be in
hydrangeas. To breed for blue, you must breed for a certain cell pH.

Here is an online link to a nice discussion of pigments and how they work in
orchids to make flower color
http://www.orchidtrek.com/color/color.html

---