Old 26-10-2004, 01:31 PM
TU

"Gramma" wrote in message ...
"Reka" wrote in message

I've found a picture of one on the back of his one and only Orchid Magazine
that looks like it and that is a sarcochilus falcatus.
It also gives some info on conditions and says it likes frequent watering.
It is one of our natives and has finsihed flowering, so I don't feel quite
as scared of that one [g] as long as it survives its fall.

In Victoria Sarcochilus falcatus grow in the Otway N'Park, so a shady
and moist location suits it best. Most are sold mounted on a small
strip of paling fence which is fine if kept most, but have tendency to
fall off if kept too dry or get knocked around too much. I remounted
mine on a piece of cork about 200mm x 200mm, spray it in the morning
and sometimes in the evening as well. It seems to hold on to cork
better.

The other has a
name tag which is written in pencil and hard to read but looks the same
breed [?] with 'hantsmanii' added and the buds arejust starting to open.

Sounds like it's a Sarcochilus hartmannii. It's easier to grow, will
take more sun than Sarc falcatus, and doesn't need as much water as
Sarc facultus. It should form a large clump in a pot of chunky potting
mix after a few year.

Good luck and hope all is well.