Old 01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
W Dale

Default Lily seed pods?

I have found one round, hard, poppy seed, like pod on my hardy lily.
Anyone know what this is? I cut it off before sinking the plants and am
attempting to dry them. My neighbor says they are seed pods. I have
never seen them or heard of them on other lilies.

I have also heard that the best depth for lilies is about 18". I took a
pitiful looking, end of the season, clearance, $1.00 on sale, hardy lily
from Lowes, over wintered it my pond; after a few weeks of growth in the
spring, I dropped it to 4 feet 'just for fun and as an experiment."
Leaves reached 10 1/2 inches across, only fertilized once (I promise to
fertilize more often next season! :-) ), and there are three huge
rhizomes trying to grow out of the pot. I am looking forward to
dividing all my lilies and instead of having 3 pots, I will have 5 - 7.
Question: Was this just a 'fluke' or will lilies really grow that well,
that deep?

Thanks for the flowers!
W. Dale