Old 01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
W Dale

Default Lily seed pods?

I have found one round, hard, poppy seed, like pod on my hardy lily.
Anyone know what this is? I cut it off before sinking the plants and am
attempting to dry them. My neighbor says they are seed pods. I have
never seen them or heard of them on other lilies.

I have also heard that the best depth for lilies is about 18". I took a
pitiful looking, end of the season, clearance, $1.00 on sale, hardy lily
from Lowes, over wintered it my pond; after a few weeks of growth in the
spring, I dropped it to 4 feet 'just for fun and as an experiment."
Leaves reached 10 1/2 inches across, only fertilized once (I promise to
fertilize more often next season! :-) ), and there are three huge
rhizomes trying to grow out of the pot. I am looking forward to
dividing all my lilies and instead of having 3 pots, I will have 5 - 7.
Question: Was this just a 'fluke' or will lilies really grow that well,
that deep?

Thanks for the flowers!
W. Dale

Old 01-11-2004, 01:19 AM
RichToyBox

The lilies, depending on variety, will do fine at that depth. The main
reason that 18 inches is listed, is that is pretty much a minimum depth, and
getting in to fertilize, prune, maintain, etc, is much easier in 18 inches
of water than 4 foot.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Derek Broughton

RichToyBox wrote:

The lilies, depending on variety, will do fine at that depth. The main
reason that 18 inches is listed, is that is pretty much a minimum depth,
and getting in to fertilize, prune, maintain, etc, is much easier in 18
inches of water than 4 foot.

I grew lilies in 5', no problem with getting them to grow. The problem was
keeping them on the bottom. At that depth, the sheer mass of foliage
between root and leaf creates a bouyancy that either requires the roots to
be in soil, or a massive weight to hold them down. Since I like to keep
the lilies bareroot, that means fastening them to a pretty massive weight.

I did find that most lilies really need to be started in about 18" of water
and lowered about 6" at a time as the leaves reach the surface. Otherwise,
they'll grow fine but you might not get flowers until August.
--
derek

Old 03-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Mostyn

Yes your neighbour was right thay are seed pods.
my lillies are in about 6inches of bog soil and thay do ok all year round.
Mostyn

Lily Pods Newbie Bill Ponds 2 17-08-2004 02:14 AM
Lily Pods Newbie Bill Ponds 0 15-08-2004 06:43 AM
oriental pea pods/ sugar pods WARRENRN1 Gardening 1 27-09-2003 03:33 AM
Sir Walter Buffalo - seed pods? Dave Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Catalpa leaves and seed pods in a gully. Cdonahey41 Gardening 2 22-03-2003 09:44 PM