Old 02-11-2004, 12:25 AM
John Savage

"itrox" writes:
How long will they take to grow over a 4m x 1.2m lattice?

Star jasmine? Sorry, have no idea, but it does seem fast growing.

And you mentioned pinching some from a neighbour? Are they very easy to
propagate by cuttings? I'll have to start driving around the neighbourhood
and paying more attention.

Again, haven't tried it. But if you are lucky it might be like the 'pink
menace' jasmine, and send up rooted shoots all around the established
plant. I stopped and took a close look at a star jasmine yesterday, and
even fairly new stems do seem woody, so you might be able to induce
cuttings to send out roots. Try asking any grower you see how they got
theirs started. It would be ideal if you could get hold of a couple of
metre long established plants .... hint hint.

Other possibilites are passionfruit, honeysuckle and Morning Glory.
It depends on whether you are willing to trim back vigorous growers,
and whether their attraction to bees would be a problem (e.g., small
kids or pets playing alongside the lattice). I think Morning Glory may
be poisonous. A real fast grower would be choko, but it would need
daily weaving and trimming.

Just wondering aloud (?) whether climbers are adversely affected by
chemicals leaching out of treated pine? Might it be a problem?