Old 20-10-2004, 10:43 PM
itrox

Default Climbers

Hi I am looking for a common, affordable climber to let grow over some
lattice.

Can anyone suggest some easily obtainable climbers, any links to photos
would be good. If not, just names will do and I am sure I'll be able to find
the photos myself.

Australian climbers would be preferred, but hey, I'm open to others also.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Old 25-10-2004, 01:18 AM
John Savage

"itrox" writes:
Hi I am looking for a common, affordable climber to let grow over some
lattice.

What about star jasmine? It has a gentle fragrance, nothing like as
suffocating as that of the other jasmine. Affordable? Get some from
a neighbour for nix!

Old 25-10-2004, 05:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia

I agree star jasmine is good, we have some on our side fence and it smells lovely on sping/summer nights, we cant smell it that much during the day though, I think the other scents must over power it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Savage

Old 25-10-2004, 05:16 AM
Witchy Mama

--
John Savage (news address invalid; keep news replies in
newsgroup)

--
Witchy Mama

Old 29-10-2004, 12:41 AM
John Savage

Witchy Mama writes:
I agree star jasmine is good, we have some on our side fence and it
smells lovely on sping/summer nights, we cant smell it that much during
the day though, I think the other scents must over power it lol.

I have no idea here -- but perhaps the jasmine uses a night moth for
pollination, rather than a day insect? The stronger night scent, and
the stark white cross that marks out the landing zone might be there to
guide a nocturnal visitor towards the jasmine's nectar under low-light
conditions?

Just a thought.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:25 AM
John Savage

"itrox" writes:
How long will they take to grow over a 4m x 1.2m lattice?

Star jasmine? Sorry, have no idea, but it does seem fast growing.

And you mentioned pinching some from a neighbour? Are they very easy to
propagate by cuttings? I'll have to start driving around the neighbourhood
and paying more attention.

Again, haven't tried it. But if you are lucky it might be like the 'pink
menace' jasmine, and send up rooted shoots all around the established
plant. I stopped and took a close look at a star jasmine yesterday, and
even fairly new stems do seem woody, so you might be able to induce
cuttings to send out roots. Try asking any grower you see how they got
theirs started. It would be ideal if you could get hold of a couple of
metre long established plants .... hint hint.

Other possibilites are passionfruit, honeysuckle and Morning Glory.
It depends on whether you are willing to trim back vigorous growers,
and whether their attraction to bees would be a problem (e.g., small
kids or pets playing alongside the lattice). I think Morning Glory may
be poisonous. A real fast grower would be choko, but it would need
daily weaving and trimming.

Just wondering aloud (?) whether climbers are adversely affected by
chemicals leaching out of treated pine? Might it be a problem?

climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Climbers on Fence Jack United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 02:37 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM