Old 02-11-2004, 02:23 PM
willshak

Renee Burry wrote:

Hi JD,
I'm appaled with some of the mean replies you got, but it shouldn't really
surprise me, I deal with the clever enlightened ones on a daily basis.
Sometimes products are sold packaged by the cu. ft., like wood mulch for
flower beds, or river rock for ponds, so just is case you need to find the
exact calucation at some later this is how it's done.
To get volume you multiply length x width x depth which will give you cubic
feet, then divide by 27 to get cubic yards. Sand and gravel is usually sold
by the cubic yard, check with the gravel business first.

Sand and gravel are not sold by volume. They are sold by weight (tons).

First you have to change the 3" of depth to a percentage in order for it to
work out.
3" divided by 12" =.25 ( for sand 2"divided by12" = .166) You said you
have 200 sq ft area, this could be a 10' x 20' = 200' sq ft or even a 2' x
100' = 200' sq ft. I'll go with 10' x 20' =200'SF x depth .25"
200sq ft x .25" = 50 CF
There are 27 cu ft in a cu yard, now divide by 27CY. 50 CF divided by 27CY
= 1.85 CY, you can round up to 2CY which will take care of the fudge factor
Abe mentioned.
I hope this will be of help, just send me a e-mail if you ever need
calucation help. Good Luck JD. with any of your future endeavours.
PS. thanks for helping me with the groundwater ubiquity score, you were
right :-)
Renee Burry
NL. Canada

"JD" wrote in message
newsu0bd.3314$EZ.2666@okepread07...

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?
I have an approximately 200 sq ft area and want 3" of gravel and 2" of
sand.
Thanks for your help.
JD