Old 13-10-2004, 03:33 AM
JD

Default sand calculation

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?
I have an approximately 200 sq ft area and want 3" of gravel and 2" of sand.
Thanks for your help.
JD

Old 13-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Kyle Boatright

Gravel: 200 sq ft x .25 ft = 50 cubic feet. Divide the cubic feet by 27 to
get cubic yards. (About 2).

Sand: 200 sq ft x .17 ft = 34 cubic feet, or just over 1 cubic yard.

newsu0bd.3314$EZ.2666@okepread07...

Old 13-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Richard J Kinch

JD writes:

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?

By graduating from the 8th grade. Or high school diploma, if its from a
public school.
Old 13-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Robert Allison

JD wrote:

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?
I have an approximately 200 sq ft area and want 3" of gravel and 2" of sand.
Thanks for your help.
JD

By multiplying length x width x heighth.

2 yards of gravel and 1 yard of sand. Keep in mind before you start
getting overly scientific or accurate with the calculations, that
after your detailed equation to get the exact number of cubic inches
needed, when you get to the yard to pick it up, the loader will ram
the front end loader into the pile and that will be one yard.....

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Old 13-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Abe

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:56:19 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

Gravel: 200 sq ft x .25 ft = 50 cubic feet. Divide the cubic feet by 27 to
get cubic yards. (About 2).

Sand: 200 sq ft x .17 ft = 34 cubic feet, or just over 1 cubic yard.

-----------------
Alo, if the sand or gravel will be compacted, don't forget to add a
fudge factor of +10% or so.

Old 13-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Harry K

Richard J Kinch wrote in message ...
JD writes:

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?

By graduating from the 8th grade. Or high school diploma, if its from a
public school.

Schools must be worse than I thought if it takes the 8th grade to be
able to do that. It is basic math and any 4th grader at the latest
would be able to do it in my time.

Harry K
Old 13-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

JD wrote:

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?
I have an approximately 200 sq ft area and want 3" of gravel and 2" of

sand.
Thanks for your help.
JD

By multiplying length x width x heighth.

2 yards of gravel and 1 yard of sand. Keep in mind before you start
getting overly scientific or accurate with the calculations, that
after your detailed equation to get the exact number of cubic inches
needed, when you get to the yard to pick it up, the loader will ram
the front end loader into the pile and that will be one yard.....

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

LOL - how right you are. But I still see geniuses try to get it down to the
cubic centimeter. Good for a chuckle.

Old 13-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Colbyt

"JD" wrote in message
newsu0bd.3314$EZ.2666@okepread07...
How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?
I have an approximately 200 sq ft area and want 3" of gravel and 2" of

sand.
Thanks for your help.
JD

Others have given you the method and accurate figures on the cubic yards and
Robert gave you real world expectations. What no one has yet mentioned is
that these items are sold by the ton most places. The amount of pounds to
cubic yard varies a bit with the size of the gravel. This might help you,

http://www.vulcanmaterials.com/vcm.asp?content=cagcalc

Colbyt

Old 02-11-2004, 02:23 PM
willshak

Renee Burry wrote:

Hi JD,
I'm appaled with some of the mean replies you got, but it shouldn't really
surprise me, I deal with the clever enlightened ones on a daily basis.
Sometimes products are sold packaged by the cu. ft., like wood mulch for
flower beds, or river rock for ponds, so just is case you need to find the
exact calucation at some later this is how it's done.
To get volume you multiply length x width x depth which will give you cubic
feet, then divide by 27 to get cubic yards. Sand and gravel is usually sold
by the cubic yard, check with the gravel business first.

Sand and gravel are not sold by volume. They are sold by weight (tons).

First you have to change the 3" of depth to a percentage in order for it to
work out.
3" divided by 12" =.25 ( for sand 2"divided by12" = .166) You said you
have 200 sq ft area, this could be a 10' x 20' = 200' sq ft or even a 2' x
100' = 200' sq ft. I'll go with 10' x 20' =200'SF x depth .25"
200sq ft x .25" = 50 CF
There are 27 cu ft in a cu yard, now divide by 27CY. 50 CF divided by 27CY
= 1.85 CY, you can round up to 2CY which will take care of the fudge factor
Abe mentioned.
I hope this will be of help, just send me a e-mail if you ever need
calucation help. Good Luck JD. with any of your future endeavours.
PS. thanks for helping me with the groundwater ubiquity score, you were
right :-)
Renee Burry
NL. Canada

"JD" wrote in message
newsu0bd.3314$EZ.2666@okepread07...

How do you determine the amount of sand or gravel needed for an area?
I have an approximately 200 sq ft area and want 3" of gravel and 2" of
sand.
Thanks for your help.
JD

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
swimming pool sand filter operation clive Ponds 3 08-12-2003 05:04 PM
Unlikely calculation Don Foster sci.agriculture 6 20-07-2003 09:18 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
white river sand alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM