Old 02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Les Dowdell

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:03:09 +0530, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Akadama is not a wonder medium for growing Bonsai!

At no time did I say, imply, or suggest that akadama was a "wonder" medium
for any activity, including growing bonsai. In fact I even suggested other
materials for inclusion in bonsai soil mixes.

It is just granular Japanese soil.....

Akadama is basically clay that has been excavated from below surface soil,
dried, broken down to usable particle sizes, and packaged. It is not a
normal part of the soil level used for horticultural/agricultural purposes.

Take any soil from your country in which can grow most vegetation and
one part each of inert grit and organic manure such as peat or
leaf-mold or similar ingredient, that will make better compost than
with Akadama.

I would not recommend taking "any soil" normally used in the garden. The
particle size of most (not all) surface soils is too small for use in a
bonsai pot. Without continuous tilling by worms and insects, the originally
friable soil will quickly break down and the resultant fine particles will
fill most inter-particle spaces and impede the flow of water and air within
the pot. Many soils are high in clay content (as in my back yard) and with
repeated watering and (almost) drying in the sun, quickly results in a clay
brick. This occurs even when inert grit (sand) and an organic component are
part of the mixture. Water takes forever to penetrate these adobe style
bricks and the roots of bonsai grown in this medium grow very poorly. By
using a mixture composed of particles that hold their shapes, air and water
flow through the mix very easily and promote healthy root growth.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In zone 3a where the soil in my bonsai pots is frozen solid and does not let
ANY water through until spring.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++