Old 31-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 10/30/2004 5:38:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Is anyone familiar with a source for Akadama in Alberta, Canada? I
have searched high and low on the 'net and have come up empty.
Contact Bonsai Today at
www.bonsaitoday.com. You can have Akadama in a
matter of a few days.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Akadama in Alberta or Canada?

Try www.bonsaimonk.com. I don't know how they rate with other suppliers as far as cost goes - but they are reliable. They DO have really good prices on pots...

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Jeff

Thanks to all who answered.

You have been a great help.

Jeff in Alberta,

Zone 2a - 3
Brrrrrrrrr

On 1 Nov 2004 06:10:45 -0800, (Isom, Jeff , EM,
PTL) wrote:

Try
www.bonsaimonk.com. I don't know how they rate with other suppliers as far as cost goes - but they are reliable. They DO have really good prices on pots...

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Les Dowdell

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:09:05 -0600, Jeff wrote:

Is anyone familiar with a source for Akadama in Alberta, Canada? I
have searched high and low on the 'net and have come up empty.

If no sources locally, can anyone recommend a mailorder outlet that
ships internationally?

Thanks.

Jeff,

I know of no supplier of akadama in Alberta. Bonsai clubs in other parts
of Canada that have bigger memberships than the two Albertan clubs (Edmonton
and Lethbridge) will probably be able to get akadama. I do get some
Terra-Green from a hydroponics supply store so that I can make up my
versions of bonsai soil. There are other forms of fired clay that work just
as well but you should carry out the 'overnight water' test to make sure
they will keep their form when wet.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In zone 3a where bonsai supplies are VERY hard to find.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Anil Kaushik

Les Dowdell

Akadama is not a wonder medium for growing Bonsai! It is just granular
Japanese soil and potential commercial suppliers are..... "The nearer the
God the farther from Church". Take any soil from your country in which can
grow most vegetation and one part each of inert grit and organic manure such
as peat or leaf-mold or similar ingredient, that will make better compost
than
with Akadama.

Best wishes
Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Les Dowdell

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:03:09 +0530, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Akadama is not a wonder medium for growing Bonsai!

At no time did I say, imply, or suggest that akadama was a "wonder" medium
for any activity, including growing bonsai. In fact I even suggested other
materials for inclusion in bonsai soil mixes.

It is just granular Japanese soil.....

Akadama is basically clay that has been excavated from below surface soil,
dried, broken down to usable particle sizes, and packaged. It is not a
normal part of the soil level used for horticultural/agricultural purposes.

Take any soil from your country in which can grow most vegetation and
one part each of inert grit and organic manure such as peat or
leaf-mold or similar ingredient, that will make better compost than
with Akadama.

I would not recommend taking "any soil" normally used in the garden. The
particle size of most (not all) surface soils is too small for use in a
bonsai pot. Without continuous tilling by worms and insects, the originally
friable soil will quickly break down and the resultant fine particles will
fill most inter-particle spaces and impede the flow of water and air within
the pot. Many soils are high in clay content (as in my back yard) and with
repeated watering and (almost) drying in the sun, quickly results in a clay
brick. This occurs even when inert grit (sand) and an organic component are
part of the mixture. Water takes forever to penetrate these adobe style
bricks and the roots of bonsai grown in this medium grow very poorly. By
using a mixture composed of particles that hold their shapes, air and water
flow through the mix very easily and promote healthy root growth.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In zone 3a where the soil in my bonsai pots is frozen solid and does not let
ANY water through until spring.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Anil Kaushik

Yes! There is a point in what you say. But it will be pertinent to mention
that after collecting all the ingredients we sift these to remove fine
particles and then sterilize with soil fumigant. Since the Bonsai pots are
shallow, during summers especially if the hot wind is blowing, the compost
becomes bone dry within a few hours, leaves wilt and often the plant dies.
So one should bear in mind while making Bonsai compost, local environmental
conditions also! In most of the tropical and sub-tropical regions in Indian
sub-continent, the maximum temperature (from early summer to late summer)
hovers around 40* C with 10 to 30 percent relative humidity! That is the
reason we use porous and not VERY PORUS compost, in which clay or Akadama is
totally ruled out.

Happy times with your Bonsais