Old 02-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Allyb

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Allyb" wrote in message
I posted this question before, and didn't really get any responses that
helped, so I thougt I'd post again with an update. I have a 55 gallon

with
10 or 15 small fish. I have a large group of red temple plants and a

large
group of Eusterallis stellata and a few other misc plants. I was adding

20
ppm nitrates every day and when I would test I would always get 0.

(test
kit seemed ok) Fish started to get sick. I discontinued fertilization

for
a week to let the fish heal, and the stellata started to turn to mush

and
break apart. I started fertilizing again at 5ppm per day and the fish
started to get sick again. I've since moved the fish into another tank

so
can dose the 55 at will, but I would like to put the fish back

eventually.
I also have crazy brown and beard algae all over the place which I've

never
been able to get under control. Here are the full specs of the tank

Give us the doses you're adding to create your PMDD, e.g.. 1 tbsp. Trace
Elements, 1 tbsp. Magnesium Sulfate, etc. Also where did you get your
chemicals. What fish do you have?

You say your Nitrates test 0 PPM. What reading do you get if you test just
after you add your dose? Could be your test kit is whacked, maybe your
dosing is incorrect or maybe there is something else in your PMDD that the
fish don't like. What did you use for your PMDD bottle, was it well

cleaned?

I've not tested immediately after dosing since I've been adding such large
amounts. I'm so sick of counting drops :-) I am using Green light stump
remover for nitrates. 3 Tblsp per 500ml water to add .3ppm per ml to the
55. Muriate of potash for potassium. Solutions are made up in clean, glass
pint jars. I'm not refrigerating, could that be the problem? I have been
meaning to test my solution and my test kit by making up a diluted formula,
but have not done so yet. I do know the test reacts predictably when I add
a drop of straight solution to a test tube of aquarium water. I'm using
prefab for trace and iron. Did I answer everything?