Old 03-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Lee

Sterling wrote in message ...
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Just curious..is it usual to do that in America?

Here in the UK, it's fairly common to request "no flowers please", or
"family flowers only" or for mourners to donate money to a charity
chosen by the deceased or his family, instead.

I've never, ever heard of mourners here taking away the funeral
flowers afterwards, even at cremations. At burials, the grave is filled
in after everyone has left, and the flowers/wreaths arranged on top.
Family and close friends often return to the graveside alone during the
next few days and perhaps find some comfort in the flowers and tributes.

Janet.

It differs.

You may not realize that cemeteries here are a often great distance from
the family/friends and people cannot go back easily to visit the
graveside. Some people will have a "memorial marker" placed at their
church because of this.

I have seen potted plants at funerals that were given to family and
friends to take away as "memorial" plants. I took plants from my
Grandfather's funeral and distributed them to his elderly friends who
were not able to attend his funeral. They were so terribly pleased. Same
is done with the fresh flowers sometimes.

Also here, some families request "contributions to the American Heart
Association(or similar) in lieu of flowers".

Along with the option of contributions, In some areas, (USA)the potted
plants are taken by or distributed to family members who wish to have
them and the floral arrangements placed on the grave. Many of my
friends have plants that they have had for years that they acquired
from a loved ones funeral and will point them out like,'that's from
Mother's funeral,' or Aunt Alice or who ever and you can see the love
in their eyes at the memory. I have a tiny clear glass caraf with rose
petals from my father's and also one with carnations from my mothers
funeral. I frequently touch base with them since I can't go to the
cemetery. Also I decopauged (sp?) my daddy's little card that is
passed out at most funerals here with the names, dates prayers etc and
it stands on one of my library shelves in memory.
leo/lee