Old 02-11-2004, 04:08 AM
Sterling

Default funeral mums

A friend of mine got a lovely pot of "florist" mums for her birthday.
She was ready to pitch the plant when it was done and I took it and
planted it, after trimming it 'way back. I took the trimmings and put
them in small pots. About 18 small pots. Planted them in the ground when
they had taken root and ALL are blooming right now. The cutting are
about 8-10" tall and full of blooms. They will be much bigger next year.

The "mother" plant is gorgeous!

I did expect the new blooms to be somewhat inferior to the "forced" big
blooms from the florist, but was nicely surprised to see these beautiful
big blooms in my garden.

griffon wrote:
So anyway I attended a funeral and only two or three flowers were
taken. Someone came up to me and told me I should take all of the
other flowers because nobody wanted them and they would leave them at
the cemetary to be thrown away or whatever. Among them were a bunch
of the big-bloomed mums. I know nothing about these - are they like
the fancy pottle cyclamens, indoor-only plants, or can I plant these
outside with all of the "normal" mums?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Sterling

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Just curious..is it usual to do that in America?

Here in the UK, it's fairly common to request "no flowers please", or
"family flowers only" or for mourners to donate money to a charity
chosen by the deceased or his family, instead.

I've never, ever heard of mourners here taking away the funeral
flowers afterwards, even at cremations. At burials, the grave is filled
in after everyone has left, and the flowers/wreaths arranged on top.
Family and close friends often return to the graveside alone during the
next few days and perhaps find some comfort in the flowers and tributes.

Janet.

It differs.

You may not realize that cemeteries here are a often great distance from
the family/friends and people cannot go back easily to visit the
graveside. Some people will have a "memorial marker" placed at their
church because of this.

I have seen potted plants at funerals that were given to family and
friends to take away as "memorial" plants. I took plants from my
Grandfather's funeral and distributed them to his elderly friends who
were not able to attend his funeral. They were so terribly pleased. Same
is done with the fresh flowers sometimes.

Also here, some families request "contributions to the American Heart
Association(or similar) in lieu of flowers".
Old 03-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Lee

Sterling wrote in message ...
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

[...]

Along with the option of contributions, In some areas, (USA)the potted
plants are taken by or distributed to family members who wish to have
them and the floral arrangements placed on the grave. Many of my
friends have plants that they have had for years that they acquired
from a loved ones funeral and will point them out like,'that's from
Mother's funeral,' or Aunt Alice or who ever and you can see the love
in their eyes at the memory. I have a tiny clear glass caraf with rose
petals from my father's and also one with carnations from my mothers
funeral. I frequently touch base with them since I can't go to the
cemetery. Also I decopauged (sp?) my daddy's little card that is
passed out at most funerals here with the names, dates prayers etc and
it stands on one of my library shelves in memory.
leo/lee
Old 03-11-2004, 04:50 PM
glenon

Jewish funerals generally do not have flowers at the gravesite. Instead, a
rock is placed on top of the tombstone (after a year of the burial- which is
when the tombstone is placed) to signify rememberance, also in Florida, we
use shells!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 04-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Zemedelec

Somewhat on the same topic...don't bring an even number of flowers (or white
flowers) to a European host or hostess. Both are traditionally used at
funerals.
zemedelec

Old 05-11-2004, 04:05 PM
David Hill

Zemedelec wrote ".....Somewhat on the same topic...don't bring an even
number of flowers (or white flowers) to a European host or hostess. Both are
traditionally used at funerals..."

I think that this is just to much of a generalisation.
Even numbers of flowers are harder to arrange than an odd number, In the UK
it was considered to be unlucky to have red and white flowers together
(Possible related to Blood and Bandages). Whilst Red and white carnations
are used in Poland for funerals.
I was told years ago when I had a load of cyclamen to sell at Xmas that in
Wales they reminded people of funerals (I've never heard of them being
used ) whilst in England I could never get enough white.
Also it's said that Arum Lilies remind people of funerals, but in the 20's
and 30's they were used extensively for bridal flowers.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 PM

at my mothers memorial (no funeral) a month after she died I had picked up and potted
day lilies available for people to take home from her garden. the memorial was on
her huge porch overlooking the flower beds. she had given most everyone so many
plants over the years that almost everyone who spoke mentioned some favorite flower
or other that had come from her garden. And then there is the person I contacted who
is naming a day lily after her and I will buy them and distribute pieces to her
friends. Ingrid

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from (Lee) contains these words:

It differs.

You may not realize that cemeteries here are a often great distance from
the family/friends and people cannot go back easily to visit the
graveside.

Same here; which is probably why so many people visit the decorated
grave again in private before they travel back home.

I have seen potted plants at funerals that were given to family and
friends to take away as "memorial" plants.

Along with the option of contributions, In some areas, (USA)the potted
plants are taken by or distributed to family members who wish to have
them and the floral arrangements placed on the grave. Many of my
friends have plants that they have had for years that they acquired
from a loved ones funeral and will point them out like,'that's from
Mother's funeral,' or Aunt Alice or who ever and you can see the love
in their eyes at the memory.

We don't "do" potted plants at funerals here either, but I think it's
a nicer idea than wreaths, and one which I shall try to propagate :-)

Janet.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

David Poole's funeral Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 10 17-10-2014 11:18 PM
Freemasons at pedophile Savile's funeral [email protected] United Kingdom 0 25-07-2014 10:28 PM
Types of Funeral Flowers broderick391 Marketplace 0 09-06-2011 12:14 AM
Plumeria funeral? Zemedelec Gardening 1 27-05-2004 04:10 AM
[IBC] Mas Imazumi’s Funeral Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 29-12-2003 10:37 PM