Old 03-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Robert Ainsley

Default Garden Watering Systems

Now its the end of the gardening season I have time to reflect on my
gardening year. Two things spring to mind Alliums & my new Garden
Watering System.

This is the first year I have introduced alliums into the garden and I
have been really impressed with the results. So much so that I have
been out and bought 50 allium gladiator bulbs.

But my new found love for Allium bulbs doesn't touch my addiction to
the new garden watering system I have installed. I have seen a number
of these watering systems in garden centers but had never got around
to buying one. But one night I decided to take a look on the web and
found a couple of sites to read through and then I was hooked. Ordered
the bits and then two days later I was out in the garden installing my
new systems.

I think I should have spent a little time planning before I went mad
installing it but I would only change a couple of things. I bought a
Hozelock kit which included a timer and loads of different drippers,
misters and bits so I could try things out. All I have to do now is
sit back and watch my garden water itself.

I managed to get a handy tip which was to use a piece of micro soaker
hose in a loop around plants in tubs. I started by using drippers but
this just watered the center of the tub. So by creating a loop of
micro soaker hose I can water a uniform area around the tub.

I found most of the info from hozelocks web site and then bought the
bits from a company called garden4less. The initial kit was great but
bought the soaker hose later after I found the drippers to be less the
adequate at watering very large pots.

I think I am going to do the greenhouse next.