Old 04-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Bill Stock

"Ook" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Ook" wrote in message
I have hornswort and frill in a 15 gal tank. Both plants just sit

there,
they grew a lot at first, and then slowed down and now they are just

sitting
and slowly turning yellow. Is this part of their normal life cycle? Is

there
anything I can do that won't kill my neons that would help the plants

grow?

Sounds like a fertilizer issue. My HW started to yellow about 3 weeks
after
I brought it in from the pond. Now that I'm dosing with PMDD (Poor Mans
Dosing Drops), it has really perked up. I may have to thin it out soon,
before it takes over the basement. Although it's more of a lime green
colour than the dark green that it was in the pond.

Do you have fish in the tank? What is PMDD, is it available at your LFS?

I don't have fish yet, but this will be a community tank eventually. PMDD is
a home brew fertilizer, check it out he
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html . Basically it's
Trace Elements (Iron, Magnesium, etc), Potassium, and Nitrates. If you have
fish, you may not need the Nitrates. You can buy the Potassium and Trace
Elements from your LFS, Seachem Flourish is one of the better known brands.
PMDD is more hassle, but also a lot cheaper.

The other limiting factors to your HW growth are light and CO2, but HW is
fairly light tolerant. So I doubt either of these is an issue.