Old 04-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Victoria Clare

"Martin Sykes" wrote in
:

"Anti-Spam" wrote in message
.uk...
I've grow these successfully in a cold greenhouse for the first time
this year.

As there are still a good number of large green "lanterns" on the
plants is there any way these can be ripened off the plant?

Most things seem to ripen quicker if you put them in a bowl with a
banana skin and cover. I know it works with tomatoes and is the reason
you shouldn't put bananas in the fruit bowl with your other fruit.

Assuming it's physalis edulis, I'm about to try the same thing with mine.
I have previously just moved them indoors and left them in the kitchen, and
they were edible if not quite as sweet as the sun ripened ones.

Roger might be interested to know that these are perennial plants: the tops
will die off in an unheated greenhouse, but the roots survive and can live
to fruit again another year.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill