Old 05-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Snooze

"rtk" wrote in message
Well, sorta new. My nightmare is being replaced by people who are very
experienced. But that doesn't make me question what they're doing. The
pond is probably more than 1500 gallons. They put a plastic *bio-falls*
filled with lava rock and an 18 inch opening into the ground a little
higher than the water on one end where the pond is almost 4 feet deep.
At the other end is a skimmer, 19 inches wide and 19 inches deep by 15
inches wide with a 1200 pump. There are rocks on the bottom of the pond
(I know that has followers and non- ), without any device at the bottom.
Is this adequate? The same size skimmer is going to be used in the
250 gallon pond with no other filter. Make sense?

The lava rocks is probably the first thing you'll replace. They look nice,
and work well at first, but after a while the holes in the lava rocks clog
and fail to work as effectively. Additionally they're heavy, so periodically
cleaning them is a difficult task. The conventional wisdom is to use
bio-balls, polishing pads, scouring pads, or window screen material.

As for filters, you can never have enough. Check out Jan's webpage, on her
filters, you can get some good ideas on how to hide them.
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/filters/myfilter.html

If you want the ultimate, pond filter 3000, check out this page
http://community.webshots.com/album/43346868XpvJzF

Snooze