Old 04-11-2004, 09:10 PM
rtk

Default Question about new pond

Well, sorta new. My nightmare is being replaced by people who are very
experienced. But that doesn't make me question what they're doing. The
pond is probably more than 1500 gallons. They put a plastic *bio-falls*
filled with lava rock and an 18 inch opening into the ground a little
higher than the water on one end where the pond is almost 4 feet deep.
At the other end is a skimmer, 19 inches wide and 19 inches deep by 15
inches wide with a 1200 pump. There are rocks on the bottom of the pond
(I know that has followers and non- ), without any device at the bottom.
Is this adequate? The same size skimmer is going to be used in the
250 gallon pond with no other filter. Make sense?

TYIA

Ruth Kazez
Old 05-11-2004, 12:22 AM
RichToyBox

Depends. The size of the filter is not really determined by the size of the
pond, though the pump should be. The size of the filter is determined by
the number of fish, the type of fish, the size of the fish, the amount of
food fed, and other factors affecting waste. My filtration has grown every
year to keep up with the large number of large koi that I have.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Snooze

"rtk" wrote in message
Well, sorta new. My nightmare is being replaced by people who are very
experienced. But that doesn't make me question what they're doing. The
pond is probably more than 1500 gallons. They put a plastic *bio-falls*
filled with lava rock and an 18 inch opening into the ground a little
higher than the water on one end where the pond is almost 4 feet deep.
At the other end is a skimmer, 19 inches wide and 19 inches deep by 15
inches wide with a 1200 pump. There are rocks on the bottom of the pond
(I know that has followers and non- ), without any device at the bottom.
Is this adequate? The same size skimmer is going to be used in the
250 gallon pond with no other filter. Make sense?

The lava rocks is probably the first thing you'll replace. They look nice,
and work well at first, but after a while the holes in the lava rocks clog
and fail to work as effectively. Additionally they're heavy, so periodically
cleaning them is a difficult task. The conventional wisdom is to use
bio-balls, polishing pads, scouring pads, or window screen material.

As for filters, you can never have enough. Check out Jan's webpage, on her
filters, you can get some good ideas on how to hide them.
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/filters/myfilter.html

If you want the ultimate, pond filter 3000, check out this page
http://community.webshots.com/album/43346868XpvJzF

Snooze