Old 05-11-2004, 04:05 PM
David Hill

Zemedelec wrote ".....Somewhat on the same topic...don't bring an even
number of flowers (or white flowers) to a European host or hostess. Both are
traditionally used at funerals..."

I think that this is just to much of a generalisation.
Even numbers of flowers are harder to arrange than an odd number, In the UK
it was considered to be unlucky to have red and white flowers together
(Possible related to Blood and Bandages). Whilst Red and white carnations
are used in Poland for funerals.
I was told years ago when I had a load of cyclamen to sell at Xmas that in
Wales they reminded people of funerals (I've never heard of them being
used ) whilst in England I could never get enough white.
Also it's said that Arum Lilies remind people of funerals, but in the 20's
and 30's they were used extensively for bridal flowers.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries