Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 PM

at my mothers memorial (no funeral) a month after she died I had picked up and potted
day lilies available for people to take home from her garden. the memorial was on
her huge porch overlooking the flower beds. she had given most everyone so many
plants over the years that almost everyone who spoke mentioned some favorite flower
or other that had come from her garden. And then there is the person I contacted who
is naming a day lily after her and I will buy them and distribute pieces to her
friends. Ingrid

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from (Lee) contains these words:

It differs.

You may not realize that cemeteries here are a often great distance from
the family/friends and people cannot go back easily to visit the
graveside.

Same here; which is probably why so many people visit the decorated
grave again in private before they travel back home.

I have seen potted plants at funerals that were given to family and
friends to take away as "memorial" plants.

Along with the option of contributions, In some areas, (USA)the potted
plants are taken by or distributed to family members who wish to have
them and the floral arrangements placed on the grave. Many of my
friends have plants that they have had for years that they acquired
from a loved ones funeral and will point them out like,'that's from
Mother's funeral,' or Aunt Alice or who ever and you can see the love
in their eyes at the memory.

We don't "do" potted plants at funerals here either, but I think it's
a nicer idea than wreaths, and one which I shall try to propagate :-)

Janet.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com