Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 6/11/04 17:13, in article , "Mike B"
wrote:

Hi all,

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise me
as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the garden,
so would pots be OK?

Wherever you plant them they will either flourish or die or migrate to a
place in which they are happy. The latter seems to be not full sun and
gravel. I love them to bits and have never, ever managed to grow them.
I've planted and struggled with the white and the pink ones and every single
time they have died on me. But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved themselves in a
very determined fashion to gravel paths and are just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but that's just
my personal experience of them.

They grow well around here in heavy clay. I have three patches, one
which has always been there and is spreading slightly which is in semi
shade, and two spreading patches, one under a whitebeam, and the other
under a magnolia and a willow. They're all ignoring the nearby gravel
paths.

They seem to like bare soil, somewhere where they can be the only ground
level plant.
--
Kay