Old 07-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 7/11/04 9:24, in article ,
"Kay" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

snip But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved
themselves in a very determined fashion to gravel paths and are
just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but
that's just my personal experience of them.

They grow well around here in heavy clay. I have three patches,

one
which has always been there and is spreading slightly which is in
semi shade, and two spreading patches, one under a whitebeam, and
the other under a magnolia and a willow. They're all ignoring the
nearby gravel paths.

Bizarre - definitely plants with a will of their own!

They seem to like bare soil, somewhere where they can be the only
ground level plant.

Maybe that's the answer - a total lack of competition.