Old 07-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 7/11/04 9:24, in article ,
"Kay" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

snip But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved
themselves in a very determined fashion to gravel paths and are
just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but
that's just my personal experience of them.

They grow well around here in heavy clay. I have three patches,

one
which has always been there and is spreading slightly which is in
semi shade, and two spreading patches, one under a whitebeam, and
the other under a magnolia and a willow. They're all ignoring the
nearby gravel paths.

Bizarre - definitely plants with a will of their own!

They seem to like bare soil, somewhere where they can be the only
ground level plant.

Maybe that's the answer - a total lack of competition.

That's been my experience, though I think it may be leaf competition
they don't like rather than root competition. The only time they
haven't had me tearing my hair out was when they were already
established when I moved in -- under a greedy old privet hedge!

Mike.