Old 09-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Gary

Default How many worms is required...to compost effectively?

Hello
Our Franz, in another thread, asked a question: How many worms does it
take to dispose of the scraps from two people?
Franz, how fast would you like the worms to dispose of the scraps? If
you want it gone in a hurry then you have to give them something they like
to eat.
How would you like to eat a T-bone steak? Rare, medium or well done? The
worms are like you-fussy. The worms want their 'steak' done their
way-rotten! To worms 'rotten' is 'gourmet'.
If you are giving worms a rare 'steak' then it will take longer for the
worms to consume it. But give them vegetation in the 'rotten' state-their
gourmet, then they will 'eat it up' more quickly.
From my experience scraps are throw on the compost pile 'raw'. Take for
example lettuce. 'Almost' bad lettuce will last quite a long time unless it
is immersed in water. If lettuce is put in water it will rot quickly. This
equals a gourmet worm meal.
If you want the worms to act faster give them something they can eat.
Give them their 'gourmet' meal...."make mine rotten...that's the way I like
it!"
How many worms? It depends upon whether you give them something they
like to eat or something they will look at...and wonder "This chef doesn't
understand...".
If the worms aren't eating, then it is time to change the chef...or
something. Give it to them rotten...just the way they like it! Their
gourmet!
Ask any worm...
Gary
Fort Langley BC