Old 09-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Gary

Default How many worms is required...to compost effectively?

Hello
Our Franz, in another thread, asked a question: How many worms does it
take to dispose of the scraps from two people?
Franz, how fast would you like the worms to dispose of the scraps? If
you want it gone in a hurry then you have to give them something they like
to eat.
How would you like to eat a T-bone steak? Rare, medium or well done? The
worms are like you-fussy. The worms want their 'steak' done their
way-rotten! To worms 'rotten' is 'gourmet'.
If you are giving worms a rare 'steak' then it will take longer for the
worms to consume it. But give them vegetation in the 'rotten' state-their
gourmet, then they will 'eat it up' more quickly.
From my experience scraps are throw on the compost pile 'raw'. Take for
example lettuce. 'Almost' bad lettuce will last quite a long time unless it
is immersed in water. If lettuce is put in water it will rot quickly. This
equals a gourmet worm meal.
If you want the worms to act faster give them something they can eat.
Give them their 'gourmet' meal...."make mine rotten...that's the way I like
it!"
How many worms? It depends upon whether you give them something they
like to eat or something they will look at...and wonder "This chef doesn't
understand...".
If the worms aren't eating, then it is time to change the chef...or
something. Give it to them rotten...just the way they like it! Their
gourmet!
Ask any worm...
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Old 09-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Gary" wrote in message
Hello
Our Franz, in another thread, asked a question: How many worms

does it
take to dispose of the scraps from two people?
Franz, how fast would you like the worms to dispose of the

scraps? If
you want it gone in a hurry then you have to give them something

they like
to eat.

Gary. if you were to have a little think, you would realise that if I
produce 500 gms of compostible material a day, and the worms compost
at 50 gms per day, there will be a daily surplus of 450 gms of
uncomposted material. In a year, that will amount to roughly 165
kilograms of uncomposted material in the course of a year.

[snip]

Franz

Old 09-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Cereus-validus.

Oh yeah? Tell me this:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

How many fleas does it take to make a fleabag?

"Gary" wrote in message
Hello
Our Franz, in another thread, asked a question: How many worms does it
take to dispose of the scraps from two people?
Franz, how fast would you like the worms to dispose of the scraps? If
you want it gone in a hurry then you have to give them something they like
to eat.
How would you like to eat a T-bone steak? Rare, medium or well done?

The
worms are like you-fussy. The worms want their 'steak' done their
way-rotten! To worms 'rotten' is 'gourmet'.
If you are giving worms a rare 'steak' then it will take longer for

the
worms to consume it. But give them vegetation in the 'rotten' state-their
gourmet, then they will 'eat it up' more quickly.
From my experience scraps are throw on the compost pile 'raw'. Take

for

Old 10-11-2004, 10:44 AM
bigboard

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message

And doing other things to promote faster consumption...like putting

soil
where they eat...worms have gizzards and need soil to digest their

food.

I doubt that. It is certainly not mentioned in any of the essays on
worm composting that I have read.

Franz

While they don't strictly speaking have gizzards, they do need some sort of
gritty substance to help break up the food they ingest. I use calcified
seaweed.

--
"I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to
die in."

Old 10-11-2004, 11:00 AM
suspicious minds

"bigboard" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message

And doing other things to promote faster consumption...like putting

soil
where they eat...worms have gizzards and need soil to digest their

food.

I doubt that. It is certainly not mentioned in any of the essays on
worm composting that I have read.

Franz

While they don't strictly speaking have gizzards, they do need some sort
of
gritty substance to help break up the food they ingest. I use calcified
seaweed.

Read this then

"In most of the species, the oesophagus is enlarged into a crop in front of
the gizzard. This latter organ is lined with a smooth thick chitinous
membrane, and is surrounded by weak longitudinal, but powerful transverse
muscles. Perrier saw these muscles in energetic action; and, as he remarks,
the trituration of the food must be chiefly effected by this organ, for
worms possess no jaws or teeth of any kind. Grains of sand and small stones,
from the 1/20 to a little more than the 1/10 inch in diameter, may generally
be found in their gizzards and intestines. As it is certain that worms
swallow many little stones, independently of those swallowed while
excavating their burrows, it is probable that they serve, like mill-stones,
to triturate their food. The gizzard opens into the intestine, which runs in
a straight course to the vent at the posterior end of the body."

THE FORMATION OF VEGETABLE MOULD
THROUGH THE ACTION OF WORMS
WITH OBSERVATIONS ON THEIR HABITS.
by Charles Darwin

[FIRST EDITION, October 10th, 1881.]

CHAPTER I--HABITS OF WORMS.
http://www.webmesh.co.uk/darwinworms1.htm

Old 10-11-2004, 11:24 AM
bigboard

suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

I hadn't realised the organs were called gizzards. Still, my point about
their digestion still stands.

--
A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.
-- Adlai Stevenson

Old 10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
suspicious minds

"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

Granted, although with due respect I don't think that Franz has read many
essays on worms.
On another point, worms breed, so as long as conditions are suitable and
within reason, the worms will multiply according to how much food is
available (as long as they are not overwhelmed)

Old 10-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"suspicious minds" wrote in message
news

"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

I have read exactly none on worms qua worms. I have, however, read a
substantial number of essays on the making of worm compost. The
descriptions of the standard worm-composting process do not mention
the necessity of introducing fine sand particles into the wormery.

On another point, worms breed, so as long as conditions are suitable

and
within reason, the worms will multiply according to how much food is
available (as long as they are not overwhelmed)

My worms have multiplied beyond all recognition. (Without the use of
sand to stay alive). Nevertheless, they are demolishing my kitchen
waste at a miserably small rate. They would really have to increase
their appetites tenfold if they are to have any hope of consming the
waste as fast as I feed it to them.

Does any other urgler have any experience of an indoor wormery?

Franz

Old 11-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Gary

"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

An indoor wormery? I have thought of doing that but not sure what would be
required. Tell us Franz how you do it. That will be a starting point for
this discussion. What kind of container(s) do you use? Etc. I can picture
dirt getting on the floor...worms also... Do you keep the wormery in the
cellar? Or where? Temperature would be important I would think. What
temperature is your wormery?
Gary

Old 11-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Franz Heymann

"Gary" wrote in message
On 11/10/04 9:34 AM, in article ,

"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

Have a good read at the following article for a description of the
principles.

http://www.troubleatmill.com/wormbin.htm

That will be a starting point for
this discussion. What kind of container(s) do you use? Etc. I can

picture
dirt getting on the floor...worms also...

No dirt and no worms have landed on the floor yet.

Do you keep the wormery in the
cellar? Or where?

In the garage.

Temperature would be important I would think.

Yes.

What
temperature is your wormery?

Never colder than about 8 deg C in winter. (My central heating boiler
is in the garage as well.). Never warmer than about 25 deg C in the
summer

Franz

Old 11-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Gary Davis

On 11/11/04 12:32 PM, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from Gary contains these words:

An indoor wormery? I have thought of doing that but not sure what would be
required. Tell us Franz how you do it. That will be a starting point for
this discussion. What kind of container(s) do you use? Etc. I can picture
dirt getting on the floor...worms also... Do you keep the wormery in the
cellar? Or where? Temperature would be important I would think. What
temperature is your wormery?

Gary, you're making my brain hurt. Wormeries and their location and
construction have been discussed ad infinitem on this ng and the
archives of urg at google must be full of worms by now.

All urglers will please pump the air with their arms for two minutes
while taking deep breaths. This will stimulate oxygen to the brain
leading to New Discussions. One and two and one and two...Rusty, you're
not really trying, now come along..

Janet.

Janet
You are right on. And funny also...I like the way you express yourself!
I am sorry for making your brain hurt. I try to clarify the topic of the
'post' by identifying it in the 'subject line'. (Please notice I have
changed the subject line from what it was to what it is now). This will
allow those of you who are 'composted to the hilt' to not read the message
or messages as the case may be. You will notice that I do (now) post at the
bottom...that should be, at least, some relief...
I take Franz's posts about composting at face value...he has asked a
valid question: How many worms does it take to compost vegetation from two
people.
Are you suggesting that Franz should look at the prior posts? It is he
that seems to be having a problem...not I. I am trying to solve his problem
of worms not eating fast enough. To do that I need to know how he is
composting. That is why I asked him to describe his methods. He chose to
give me a website to read....I read it. Have you? What do you think of it?
Maybe you are 'composted out' and have no more comments about composting at
any level.
But don't respond to that question here...or should you? No, I think you
should respond to that question on the thread that relates to
composting...(if you so choose) this thread relates to "Discussions that
hurt the brain"...I think that is right!?
This is all so confusing!
Gary
PS: Did you know that experts are those that know more and more about less
and less...? (This is a rhetorical question...!)
PSS: I, at one time, asked that a person email me directly with questions
about asparagus, I think it was, and was chastised vigorously for
that...dare I tell Franz to email me direct? Not me! Janet, you tell him!

Old 11-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Gary Davis

On 11/11/04 3:25 AM, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
On 11/10/04 9:34 AM, in article ,

"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Franz
The site you mentioned above....http://www.troubleatmill.com/wormbin.htm
I checked it out. Is that the system you use or have you modified the system
in any way? Just tell me what you do, maybe I can help out...
Gary

Old 12-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Gary Davis contains these words:

All urglers will please pump the air with their arms for two minutes
while taking deep breaths. This will stimulate oxygen to the brain
leading to New Discussions. One and two and one and two...Rusty, you're
not really trying, now come along..

Janet.

I know. I have been deleting that thread unread. Sorry. Hup-two-three,
hup-two-seven...

Janet
You are right on. And funny also...I like the way you express yourself!
I am sorry for making your brain hurt. I try to clarify the topic of the
'post' by identifying it in the 'subject line'. (Please notice I have
changed the subject line from what it was to what it is now). This will
allow those of you who are 'composted to the hilt' to not read the message
or messages as the case may be. You will notice that I do (now) post at the
bottom...that should be, at least, some relief...

Phew!

I take Franz's posts about composting at face value...he has asked a
valid question: How many worms does it take to compost vegetation from two
people.

Parkinson's Law applies: Worms multiply to fill the heap available.

Are you suggesting that Franz should look at the prior posts? It is he
that seems to be having a problem...not I. I am trying to solve his problem
of worms not eating fast enough. To do that I need to know how he is
composting. That is why I asked him to describe his methods. He chose to
give me a website to read....I read it. Have you? What do you think of it?
Maybe you are 'composted out' and have no more comments about composting at
any level.

If they're not eating fast enough they don't like what they're being
given. provide them with a scrumptious repast of rotting vegetables,
lawn mowings, weeds, horse shmanure etc, they will work mightily at a
level which is not too hot for them. Where the rotting takes place would
cook them if Franz is doing it right. If it's a wormery he's using, then
I have no experience of that.

But don't respond to that question here...or should you? No, I think you
should respond to that question on the thread that relates to
composting...(if you so choose) this thread relates to "Discussions that
hurt the brain"...I think that is right!?
This is all so confusing!
Gary

Nah, there's not a lot to hurt the brian here. If you want to molish
your brian to hurt, you shwd visit The Shed innit.

PS: Did you know that experts are those that know more and more about less
and less...? (This is a rhetorical question...!)
PSS: I, at one time, asked that a person email me directly with questions
about asparagus, I think it was, and was chastised vigorously for
that...dare I tell Franz to email me direct? Not me! Janet, you tell him!

Was it so secret? Perhaps the chastisers were afraid you were going to
give away some gem which they'd miss - or a technically illegal division
of a registered variety...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/