Old 10-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article KatraMungBean-
,
says...

Have you ever tried container tomatoes?
I bought three of them and put them into 3 gallon pots with a cage.
They are in one of the portable greenhouses and this will be my first
try at winter hothouse tomatoes.

I am in the southern hemisphere, so I am in springtime
now.

Last season I did tomatoes in 20-litre (5-gal) buckets,
which seems like a good size. I used stakes in a
tripod, tied at the top, with more string to keep the
tomato vine held in and supported.

Results were low because of some unusually severe late
summer storms.

Now I have some more (only space for four), and have a
central stake for support, and will put a tripod of
stakes around that soon. I just bought some 1.8 metre
bamboo stakes which seem a good length.

Three gallon pots might work. My understanding of
winter issues is that you need to add lots of
artificial light and some heat. That means $$$.

This past winter, I just did leafy stuff outside -
lettuce, spinach, cabbage.