Old 10-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Martin Sykes

"emma" wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

--
emma

yellow and purple? yeuch. My first idea would be to convince the company in
question that a border in their corporate colours is not the way to go. I
should think anything in those colours would be 'eye-catching'. Perhaps a
better requirement would be 'pleasing to the eye'. I think you'll find those
colours difficult because they're opposites. They are strong contrast of the
pure colours will work OK but natural colours tend to be a bit more variable
so orangey-yellow or a greenish-yellow will clash horribly with purple, and
a reddish-purple or bluish-purple will clash horribly with the yellow

I think what you are saying though is that the hard landscaping is yellow
and purple and the plants can be anything? It might help if we knew what it
was to be used for - ie. is there any significance to the fact it's
wheelchair accessible - will the maintenance be done by wheelchair users or
is it just raised so they can see it better?

One possibility which might work would be to have quite muted colours in the
planting - dark green/bronze foliage plants - but go for lots of texture as
you've already got too much colour to compete with. To make the planting
'blend' with the gariish beds, you could put some of the plants in yellow or
purple pots inside the bed. Phormiums are good spiky structural plants. You
could probably also get away with white flowers/berries as white goes with
anything.

Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )