Old 10-11-2004, 09:15 AM
andrewpreece

"emma" wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

--
emma

Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve'
Various Hebes
Heather,
I think you can get purple leaved Berberis
Acacia Baileyana Purpurea ( not if you're in a cold area )
Winter Jasmine
Vinca
Daffs
Crocuses
Fabiana Imbricata Violaceae
Choisya Ternata 'Sundance'
Hedera Helix 'Buttercup' ( Ivy)
Hypericum 'Hidcote'
Potentilla ( yellow)
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Rudbeckia
Michaelmas Daisies
Lupins
That shrub that has purple berries on in autumn, starts with a 'c' I think
etc etc etc

Andy

Old 10-11-2004, 03:26 PM
suspicious minds

"emma" wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

how about ornamental cabbage for the autumn and winter e.g.
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acat...ml&CatalogBody

Old 10-11-2004, 03:27 PM
bigboard

emma wrote:

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

Take a pot of yellow paint, and a pot of purple paint....

--
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you
really make them think they'll hate you.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Martin Sykes

"emma" wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

--
emma

yellow and purple? yeuch. My first idea would be to convince the company in
question that a border in their corporate colours is not the way to go. I
should think anything in those colours would be 'eye-catching'. Perhaps a
better requirement would be 'pleasing to the eye'. I think you'll find those
colours difficult because they're opposites. They are strong contrast of the
pure colours will work OK but natural colours tend to be a bit more variable
so orangey-yellow or a greenish-yellow will clash horribly with purple, and
a reddish-purple or bluish-purple will clash horribly with the yellow

I think what you are saying though is that the hard landscaping is yellow
and purple and the plants can be anything? It might help if we knew what it
was to be used for - ie. is there any significance to the fact it's
wheelchair accessible - will the maintenance be done by wheelchair users or
is it just raised so they can see it better?

One possibility which might work would be to have quite muted colours in the
planting - dark green/bronze foliage plants - but go for lots of texture as
you've already got too much colour to compete with. To make the planting
'blend' with the gariish beds, you could put some of the plants in yellow or
purple pots inside the bed. Phormiums are good spiky structural plants. You
could probably also get away with white flowers/berries as white goes with
anything.

Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Sacha

On 10/11/04 15:26, in article ,
"suspicious minds" wrote:

"emma" wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

how about ornamental cabbage for the autumn and winter e.g.
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acat...hergills.co.uk
/acatalog/cabbage_ornament_seed.html&CatalogBody

Don't know why but I haven't seen the original of this. But Amicia
zygomeris is yellow and purple and unusual, rare even. But it's not totally
hardy. Where is the OP working?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:38:26 +0000, emma
wrote:

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.

You could try to find ways of getting crocus to flower all year!

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Philip

That shrub that has purple berries on in autumn, starts with a 'c' I think

Callicarpa also known as Beauty Berry.
http://www.bellevuebotanical.org/pla...h/P0000665.jpg

Ham House had a fantastic display of Salvia horminum in their kitchen
garden this summer.
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acatalog/1489-clr.jpg
I hope I can find a reason and place to grow it for myself.

Hope thats of some help.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
That shrub that has purple berries on in autumn, starts with a 'c' I think

Callicarpa also known as Beauty Berry.
http://www.bellevuebotanical.org/pla...h/P0000665.jpg

Ham House had a fantastic display of Salvia horminum in their kitchen
garden this summer.
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acatalog/1489-clr.jpg
I hope I can find a reason and place to grow it for myself.

Hope thats of some help.
Hi Emma

I think yellow and purple is a great challenge and bearing in mind much of the colour could come from the green foliage it doesn't need to be garish at all. I would consider herbs (lavender (french) , tansy and purple sage come to mind), aliums, roses, jonquills, crocus tommasinianus, iris reticulata. These plants would provide wonderful textures and scent. I would look at a book on companion gardening and a rose catalogue for lots of ideas. And I shouldn't forget the long flowering violas - none of those ubiquitous pansies! And nasturtians to hang down - endless varieties . And Vegetables - but thats another thought.... I have a plum tree I must go and plant out today!

jay jay
Old 12-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Spider

emma wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

--
emma

Hi Emma,

It would be a good idea to use foliage plants in purples and yellows (as
well as green) to relieve dangerous clashes.
Some examples a

Purples: Berberis, phormiums, heucheras, purple-leaved ajugas,
ophiopagan planiscapus nigrescens,
Yellows: Choisya ternata 'Sundance', hedera 'Buttercup' (ivy), lysimachia
nummularia 'aurea (has yellow flowers),

Yellow-flowering plants:
Helenium, rudbeckia, coreopsis, doronicum, eranthis, some lupins, some
aquilegias, thalictrum flavum, some kniphophias, some euphorbias, hypericum,
many roses, hamamelis mollis, clematis tangutica, meconopsis cambrica,
allium moly and flavum, some lilies, some crocus, some irises, alchemilla
mollis.

Purple-flowering plants:
Asters (in variety), liatris, erigerons, some delphiniums, some
thalictrums, some aquilegias, some alliums, some crocus, tricyrtis (just
about!), vinca, digitalis, linaria purpurea, some campanulas, many clematis,
some roses (very few), hebes, irises.

Hope this helps.
Spider

Old 12-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Sacha

On 12/11/04 6:07 pm, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

emma wrote in message

Hi I am a student doing a project which needs a all year round colour
border- colour must be yellow and purple.
Does anyone have any ideas. The garden design is for commercial use,
and borders are raised ideal for wheel chair height. All borders are 3-
4 metres in length and upto 1.5 metres wide.

Do you have any ideas for an eye catching focal beds which need to be
stunning and in keeping with the borders.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated. Please feel free to email me

--
emma

Hi Emma,

It would be a good idea to use foliage plants in purples and yellows (as
well as green) to relieve dangerous clashes.
Some examples a

snip of very useful information

But again - where is this project to be sited? It makes a big difference to
what is suggested. For yellow flowering I'd suggest Euryops but what frost
danger is there in the finished site? We've had it down to -5 here in pots
but I've lost it in a 'hard' winter in Jersey! It's no good offering lots
of ideas if we don't know where the ideas are going to end up!
Emma, let us know where you're working and we can all pitch in probably
rather more helpfully.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 12/11/04 6:07 pm, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

emma wrote in message

[...]

For a short period ordinary cowslips and aubrieta look stunning
together; but you'll need other things for later, of course.

Mike.

North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 10:34 PM
Flowering hedge/border ideas Groundswell Gardening 12 24-03-2004 06:33 PM
Border Garden Ideas? Riddles Gardening 7 13-01-2004 03:33 AM
ideas for privacy/border shrub? Two x over Gardening 5 21-03-2003 07:08 PM
A 'quick' border - ideas? Rosie United Kingdom 1 09-03-2003 09:21 PM