Old 11-11-2004, 02:16 PM
jay jay jay jay is offline
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
That shrub that has purple berries on in autumn, starts with a 'c' I think

Callicarpa also known as Beauty Berry.
http://www.bellevuebotanical.org/pla...h/P0000665.jpg

Ham House had a fantastic display of Salvia horminum in their kitchen
garden this summer.
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/acatalog/1489-clr.jpg
I hope I can find a reason and place to grow it for myself.

Hope thats of some help.
Hi Emma

I think yellow and purple is a great challenge and bearing in mind much of the colour could come from the green foliage it doesn't need to be garish at all. I would consider herbs (lavender (french) , tansy and purple sage come to mind), aliums, roses, jonquills, crocus tommasinianus, iris reticulata. These plants would provide wonderful textures and scent. I would look at a book on companion gardening and a rose catalogue for lots of ideas. And I shouldn't forget the long flowering violas - none of those ubiquitous pansies! And nasturtians to hang down - endless varieties . And Vegetables - but thats another thought.... I have a plum tree I must go and plant out today!

jay jay